Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to stud my '96 XLT SP this season and was wondering what length of studs I should install. The track has 1" lugs. Woodys website suggests 1.075" studs. This doesnt seem that long to me, but I'm new to this so I'm not sure how long they should be. Any ideas or suggestions on what studs I should use? and how many? I'm a pretty agressive rider, and do ride lakes quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I'd go with 144 woody's gold diggers, either all down the middle belt or the traditional setup on all 3 belts. the reason the number seems small to you is because you need to add the thickness of the backer plate to the stud to get installed height. I believe the aluminum backers are .220 thick so you would actually have 1.295" installed height, which would get you right in the prime area of 1/4 - 3/8" penetration.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does the pattern for 144 down the middle look like? Whats the difference between Square or Round backers?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
TOU, are you sure you meant to say add the thickness of the backer plate... or did you mean add the thickness of the stud head... The backer wont add any length to the stud...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Originally posted by hooha311
[br]What does the pattern for 144 down the middle look like? Whats the difference between Square or Round backers?
i need to know that exact same thing, where can i find a 144 down the middle pattern??

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I should have searched the forum before I posted my question about the stud length, obviously this question had been asked/answered MANY times. Sorry guys, however I would like to see a 144 down the center template! :p

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woodys doesnt have a 144 down the middle pattern, should I use the 192 pattern and just not put the outside belt studs in?

·
Registered
298 Posts
thats what i would do......keep studs in the middle that way you can slide the ass end round corrners.

just make asure they clear the heat exchanger in the front.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Here is Woddy's 144 down the middle pattern. You have to go down the page a bit.
http://www.woodystraction.com/trailpat2.htm

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Thanks for the link ACE, got to it before i could[;)]

As for the stud length, take a gander at this. It has to do with how each manufacturer measures their studs.

Stud size + backer thickness - lug height = Penetration

/snofan/../images/users/TriumphoverU/Studlengthpic.gif

Or go look at this site. It is woody's site for stud length calculations.

http://www.woodystraction.com/studlength2.htm

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Hmmm, ok i see where you are coming from now...
However If you measure from the inside of the track to the top of the lug and then measure from the head of the stud to the tip you will get the pentration also...
I have just never heard or seen anyone measure the way you did. But a picture is worth a thousand words thanks for the clarification...

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Darkstar, I agree. I don't know why Woody's tells you to do it that way. They are the only stud company that does. Seems more cunfusing......

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Ok at least i dont feel crazy now... I was beginning to think i was bassackwards in my thinking...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Yeah i will admit woody's is very weird in the way they sell their studs. The sell them by their "stud size" instead of the overall stud length.

So in reality...the .920" woody's GD's in my sled are 1.237" overall length.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hooha, for that sled, you should be fine with the 144 down the middle. I run 168 Fast-trac 1.25" down the middle on my 1" lugged 800 Mxz and love it.

For those who've never seen 168 down the middle (pattern: 4-3-4-3) I've included a pic. I went with the Fast-trac 45 degree twin and single backers.

--Jakyll

/snofan/../images/users/Jakyll/168-studs.jpg

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
u just remove the snow flap to do that jakyll? im gonna have to stud the X2 sometime this winter im assuming

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, I had to for the tunnel protectors, but removing it kept the damn thing from getting in my face during the entire install. Just drilled out the rivets for the flap, hoisted the back-end, and started drilling holes into the track.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts