Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the different types of 120 stud patterns you guy's know.

If it ain't broke,
change stuf till it is.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think that most people use the V like patterns now. That's what I see most often anyways...with slight altercations.

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride
2002 MX Z 800 X Yellow/Black

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The "v" pattern is the trail pattern. There is a performance pattern that is almost a circle.

www.woodystraction.com

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!
'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if you have a template toss it in the trash. a track has 48 studs around so a 120 pattern should be 2-3-2-3-2-3 all the way around. if you want a v pattern do it free hand. the more scratch lines you have the better. on a 120 stud patter i would not put any on the outside of the windows. i personally like the worm pattern. start on the inside of a rail and put the 3 studs spaced a little bit on the next lug move in some on put 2 studs so they just miss the lines of the first 3 on the nest lug move in farther on the 4 set you should be almost to the otherside. you can worm back or start at the other side and go to the middle.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by madcow:
if you have a template toss it in the trash. [/quote]

I find it easier to get multiple scratch lines by using the template. We just picked my daughter's track, and used the template to make a pattern that repeats after every 12 lugs; that's almost as much of the track that is on the ground at a time. The template has a variety of scratch lines on each row; just take some time to think it through before you start.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if it repeats after 12 lugs and you use a 120 pattern you only have 30 scratch lines. if you do it free hand the chance of hitting the exact same line is pretty slim so in theory you could have 120 scratch lines. i am going to lift the rear of the sled and let it coast up and slow let the track nick the ice and see how many lines i do get.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I see what you're saying, but as long as the part of the track that is on the ground at any one time is not repeating, I would think that the rest is irrelevant. I think it would take more work/planning to ensure you're not repeating freehand than it would with the template; for me, anyway. JMHO. Oh yeah, we only used 96 picks; it's a 380 fan.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
are you setting her up for speed running or ice dragging?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trail riding, high speed lake running (90 MPH plus), and 2000 foot drags.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I,ve got a Yamaha Viper that I was considering installing 144 double backers.
Any thoughts on patterns used w/ double backers?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If thats the two studs with one nut the regular patterns. Thats what my buddy has on his 2001 MXZ 700.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Double backers use regular studs. Backers have two holes (side by side) One backer holds two studs. My understanding is less track deflection, and a more rigid mounting.
144 studs though are limited to 72 mounting locations.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I know what you mean. Check a racing sight it should tell you. I know they work a lot better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am friends with Doug Dale (head or Tech and R+D at Woody's) and have ridden with the Mussleman's (Owners or Woodys). Their recomendations for studding, other than oval racing, is to run down the middle with 144 or less studs.

Their testing has shown that a stud in the outside belt will only provide about half the traction as one in the middle. Their is no weight out there to push down on it to make it penetrate.

I have been using the Woody's templat, and runnng 144 down the middle for the last few years on My MXZ800 and the Wifes XC600. It is a great setup. It has great forward accel, but it is not locked up going thru the corners. You can still throw the tail end around. Also a plus is you do not have to run a ton of carbide on the front. Keeps the steering light.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Thanks for the info MMP, I'll keep this in mind when I stud my track this month. I'm going with 120 up the middle in my 600.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I posted this on another thread but I figured it would be goo to put it here too.

In the last 2 or 3 weeks, Woody's has revamped their stud patterns on their site along with the application guide. For my Triumph the guidelines were 96-120-144, they
are now 72-96-120. This must be due to what MMP says above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts