Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick stud question! I put a 1" track on my 97 Ultra last year. I thought I would try to go studless, thanks, but no thanks. On trails it was fine, but shoulders and on the back roads it was scary. Anyway, I have some 1.25" studs for it. Will these fit with the stock tunnel protectors? I'm trying to prevent a problem before it happens. Green on the snow is not a good sight! Sorry A/C guy's! :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Dude those should work fine. The stud will be obviously 1/4" past your lugs, if your using 1.25" studs on a 1" lug track. The tunnel protectors in your sled are either 3/4" or 1". This will give you a 1/2" or 3/4" safety margin. Just check the front bulkhead where the track rotates around on your driveshaft to make sure the stud will not contact the bulkhead. Make sure the track is not too loose and go smoke some 'green slime'! Later.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Is 1.25 the actual lenght of the stud or is it its advertised length. I ordered .920 studs for my machine which has a .820 lug height....But you must also add the thickness of the backer plate into the equation to get the "installed height". My backers are .220" thick so if i add the .1 that it was longer than the lug height and the thickness of the washer i end up with a .320 stud protrusion, which is in the range of the 1/4-3/8" that the mfg's reccommend. Just using my sled as an example. As for the tunnel protectors, you will first need to find out your "installed stud height". Hope this helps some

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went out and measured the studs. Overall length is 1 5/8". I need to measure thickness of track, to be sure. it's a camoplast and I know it is thinner than the oem track. It's raining and my sled is out in the pole barn, I'll have to measure it tomorrow. Thanks guy's for your input. Triumph, that gear will be awesome in your sled. My wife's '96 xlt is still running strong, great sled, too much suspension for playing fast, though. ;)

Runner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts