Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a fully studded camoplast track ( 1 inch - 144 woody studs) that had studs on the outside edges. Two of the outside studs were pulled out. When they came out they pulled a little square of track loose until they reached the track window. There is still about 1.5 inches wide of track on the very outside edge from so the track is still connected. Should I finish cutting out that square (from where it tore out) and round off the edges of the holes to prevent it from tearing further.

BTW- I already moved the rest of the studs from the outside into the middle of the track.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
A picture might help, i hate the idea of cutting a track. I see why though, I'm not sure whether cutting the track to prevent it from tearing further is a good or bad thing.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is not my track but it will do. It is torn along the red line and ends at the yellow arrow (#1) I was thinking about cutting along the green line to prevent the crack from going the other direction and getting to the outside of the track. I would basically be enlarging the window.

View attachment 20108246331594_18754.bmp

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you do cut it, I'd take a torch and run the tip of the flame quickly across the ragged roughcut edge to "cauterze" the rubber and fibergalsss material in the track.

I did this when I opened up (with a razor) all of the closed track windows on my ripsaw.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i haave a few tears like you have, and i just removed the stud and left the flap there! havent gotten any worse! the best part about having a tear in that part of the track is... it makes changing hy-fax alot easiers!!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SnowmobileAddict said:
If you do cut it, I'd take a torch and run the tip of the flame quickly across the ragged roughcut edge to "cauterze" the rubber and fibergalsss material in the track.

I did this when I opened up (with a razor) all of the closed track windows on my ripsaw.
What did you do? Is your track one of the "every other" tracks where only half the windows are open? Did you cut open the rest of the windows? What is the advantage?

Also what carbides should I run on my skis with the 144 studs. I have the four wear bars in front because of the " n " shaped skis. I was thinking either four 4" carbides (one 4" on each ski) OR two plain wear bars and two 6" carbides (one of each on each side).

·
Registered
353 Posts
My Ripsaw had every third window closed. After reading enough about pros and cons on a couple of message boards I decided to cut all my track windows open.

I found that in my situation after I cut the windows, my sled coasted better, there wass more snow build-up in the skid and given simialar riding conditions my hyfax appear to last longer.

I also noticed that after I cut the windows open, my track was more flexible and is able to roll around the rear axle wheels with greater ease.

There is some weight savings, although it is likely negligable (appx 6.3 oz woth of track windows for my setup)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically you just cut the track out to match the other windows right? Do you need to add any clips or just leave them alone?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah, I just cut at the molded lines to match the rest of the factory track windows.

I haven't added extra clips yet. I was thinking of doing that this fall before the riding season. Its just a matter of finding a good price on a track clip tool that can reach all of the clip locations. On my track every couple of track clip locations has a track lug going over it. So, I'll need a clip tool that has some extra, I guess you could call it "headroom", to reach the those clips.

This tool is kind of unique. It crimps from inside the track. But the price is a bit spendy!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the track off right now so I should be able to get at the back no problem.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i have two studds ripped out as well on the outside of each side and i just took a hot carpet blade since i instal carpet and cut the flap and melted the rubber smooth. i have a 1 1/4 camoplast preditor 121" fully studded

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
SnowmobileAddict said:
Yeah, I just cut at the molded lines to match the rest of the factory track windows.

I haven't added extra clips yet. I was thinking of doing that this fall before the riding season. Its just a matter of finding a good price on a track clip tool that can reach all of the clip locations. On my track every couple of track clip locations has a track lug going over it. So, I'll need a clip tool that has some extra, I guess you could call it "headroom", to reach the those clips.

This tool is kind of unique. It crimps from inside the track. But the price is a bit spendy!

I was thinking about getting one of those but I kind of ran out of money before I was going to buy it. The thing looks pretty heavy duty though In the mean time my neighbor has one so I can borrow his when I need it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What kind of wear carbides should I put on with 144 studs. I was thinking one 4 or 6 inch on each side and then a standard wear bar on each side. I have the precision style (skidoo) skis that run two wear bars. Does that sound like a good setup.

I do mostly boondocking, field riding but am going to start to do some trail riding this year.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
you should be ok for awahile ,,although a few years ago on my 97 spx the track all of the sudden shredded

1 - 14 of 14 Posts