Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 xlt 600 MAY STUD TRACK. i HAS 2600 MILES on the trak and unsur if i may damage it more than it is worth,also is studding a track a easy task or should it be done by shop. only do trail riding but have a couple of hills that can get slick.was going to go for 96 studs.

THUNDER

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I would go with the 96 studs in the center belt of the track in a "V" shaped pattern. i used a bottle of white out to mark stud locations on the entire track and then went back with a hollow drill bit and cut the holes. I used a template to mark my stud locations, but many people just "eyeball it" and get it close....they figure that will just give them more scratch lines if they are not in perfect alignment. I would say that its pretty easily done and should not cause much (if any at all) damage to your sled. I would suggest a push through style stud with a 1 inch head to help prevent pull through. I personally like the Woody's Gold Diggers.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would just opt for a 1'' track. It may give less bite on hard pack but it will give you better overall performance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride Snowmobiles, baseball, bowling, and golf require only ONE ball!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
278 Posts
With studding you should match the number of studs to the HP of the sled. I run 192 on my 800 that's pushing 150 HP, I just studded my friends Classic 500 last weekend with96 in the center in a V pattern and 6" carbides. As Triump stated I also mark it first with a paint pen and I use a template. The template I use only repeats the pattern 4 times across the track.
I have to disagree with Paulxlt, I have a 1" aggressor track and the 192 studs make a vast improvement in handling combined with 10" carbides.
Good luck, it doesn't very long, a few hours if you have an impact wrench to spin the nuts on.

RtkatZL8

1 - 4 of 4 Posts