Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting 120 studs onto my 98 ZL500. It's just a stock .75 track with .875 studs. The stud manufacturer said I "HAD TO" get tunnel & heat exchanger protection. I talked to a Cat dealer and they said I don't need it as the heat exchangers in the tunnel are over the track windows so no chance of studs hitting them. Another dealer said I needed something at the front of the tunnel. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Put sliders in the tunnel, over the cleets, (not the studs, the steel clips), I think that's all I have on my cat, but there is a lot of clearance, check the clearence, if it is not safe jack it up, or put the protcectors in.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
u sure u need 120 studs on that?? i know pman here w/ a pro x 600 and he only put 96 on i think, i dont know about tunnel protectors tho...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to clarify, are you saying bolt some sliders in the tunnel to create a gap between the stud and the tunnel is it bottoms out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regarding the 120 studs, most of the stuff I'm seeing says I should consider 144. I was going to go with 96 originally but opted to hit the middle of both numbers with 120. I get some good jam out of the machine with and EPI clutch kit, Boyeson Reeds and and MBRP Can plus I think I ride aggresively so I'm thinking 120 should be ok.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Yes, look at your buddies sleds, I am sure one of them has studs, and has it set up like that, can somebody with those post a pic, my sled isn't here so I can't get a pic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Unfortunately I'm the first in my sled clan to make the leap into studs so I don't have a reference point. Most of my buddies decided to trade in to 800 twins for the need for speed instead of screwing around like I do.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Wait, and see if someobody posts pics, to show you where to put them, if nobody posts pics I will Monday, after I get back from sledding, I am bringing the digital camera, you can still put the studs in, and go riding, just I wouldn't go nuts hiting big jumps.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had no protectors in my 97 zrt, not even on the front heat exchanger. Had not problem with stud hitting anywhere, and i like to ride hard and catch some air once in a while, so I'm sure I bottomed my suspension every now and then.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i wasnt aware of the mods u had on it, a stock ZL 500 woudlnt need 120 studs i dont think...sorry bout that

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Even a ZL 500 with clutch kit and stuff doesn't need 120. My stock Pro X 600 will walk all over a modded ZL 500. I only use 96 studs, it grabs great and I don't have any issues with bending and stuff. Plus all mine are down the middle, which when on the gas allows me to slide around the corners still [;)] Let off the throttle and touch the brakes and she's stoppin.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
/snofan/../images/users/TriumphoverU/Tunnel Protectors.jpg

Heres a pic of tunnel protectors...some sleds have heat exchangers in place of these.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info everyone. Regarding the 96 vs 120 debate, I'm open to suggestion. It's just that all the stud makers all seem to push more versus less and that under studding will rip up your track. I guess they have some self motivation in their opinions. I think I'll try the 96 centre pattern only that studboy has on their site. I'm really curious to see the difference in lock up. Looks like I know what I'm up to this weekend.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I just put 96 woody's on my XLT Special 600 in a V pattern on the inside and that worked real good for hooking up and stopping before my engine started acting up, I was on bare ice at times too. I can't imagine needing any more unless I had a lot more power or was a very aggressive rider. I have 6 in carbides to balance things out.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I just installed 96 of the Woody's Megabite studs in my 97 XLT SP 600. I used Woody's aggressive pattern up the center. This pattern keeps the studs closer to the rails, where most of the sled's weight is located. I also used the nylon compostie diamond backers. These backers also provide added traction in the soft stuff due to their design. Don't have manny miles on them yet, but I've heard good reports from others that have them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts