Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i picked up some studs for the old zert, never studded a track before, anyone know hwat size drill bit i should use?, should i heat the drill bit up before or dull it out at all (i've heard of both these ideas), and does anyone have any good pictures that i can make a guessing pattern on, (i've got 108 studs), let me know of any tips, suggestions, thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
well go buy a couple more studs cuz youre gonna need at least 121. personally id go with 144. use a v pattern down the center, going in v's repeating every 4 lugs. and then 121 is 1 of every 3 on the outer, 144 is every other on the outer.

to stud it properly go and buy a stud hole drill. its hollow and it heats up the track so hot that it acutally melts it back together and seals it up so nothing shreds out. i used a piece of plastic to do my layout on, and then marked it with white out pen, but you could use cardboard, or buy a pattern thing. or you could eyeball it

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Eyeballing it gives you more scratch lines because it's not exactly the same position each time the pattern repeats. Check out Woody's website for repeating V pattern. Use nylock nuts, tighten till the head of the stud is just flush with the bottom of the track, not too tight, just flush. You have an 800cc sled, I would also recommend 144 studs. Depends on how you ride. The harder you ride the more studs you need to prevent them from being puller out by over stressing any individual stud.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im probably just going to put in 96 or whatever the minimum is, i think it'll be fine till grass drag season when i'llput a bunch more

·
Registered
45 Posts
all you will do is wreck your studs and possibly your track do to pull throughs,i wouldn't even bother with anything under 144.i have 192 in my zrt900 and when it was an 800 that even sometimes seemed like not enough i may end up going to 240 this year.i think it is recommended 1 stud per horsepower at minimum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts