Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an 02 viper er, it needs studs. It appears to have a 1 inch lug, not the stock .92. I know the woody's hp to stud recommendation, but I have been told to just do 96 down the center of the track. Anyone agree/disagree?? thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think that is plenty if all you want is increased control for stopping and trail riding. That is all I have and it works fine. If you're doing a lot of racing though it might not be enough for your sled. Keeping the studs in the middle is much better for the life of the track from everything I have heard.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I run 96 down the middle of all my sleds. The viper is a triple 700 so you might be better with 120 maybe 144.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Everything I have heard bases the number of studs on the engine size/power output.
The previous owner of my sled ('98 700cc) worked the clutch, and added 144 studs.

Granted that the more studs you add, the more rotating mass your track is going to have. But I have read posts on other forums when the question of studding comes up, and people caution against running too few studs for a particular machine, where you won't get the full benefit of having them. I am not claiming to be an expert, just sharing some of what I've read. It seems to me that 96 might be a little light for the power of your sled. I think if I were doing this on my own, I would simply go with what Woody's or whichever you end up going with, recommends. I'm not quite sure what the benefit of running less really ends up being.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
On a 700 I would disagree. If you just want to stick to the center, I would go with 144. You have to remember that the less studs you have in, the more stress you are putting on each stud.The 96 would be more suited for a 500 class sled.

·
Registered
864 Posts
144 would be the ticket, don't forget with all the push you need to turn. Swap the carbides too.

·
Registered
711 Posts
For any and all tripple sleds I would never use under 120 studs. I have seen a track out of a tripple ski doo with 96 studs down the center in it and the track was ruined after one season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts