Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i'm new to the forum and have a question...

i recently purchased a 2002 Polaris XCSP 500 and was wondering how many studs are ideal to put on this machine. i have been told that 144 is adequate, can anyone help me out?

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Friend of mine has a '01 XC 500 SP, he has 96 studs in it, I really don't think more would make any difference. 96 would be great.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Guys i would also tend to agree 96,120, or 144 for this machine. Also rider weight has alot to do with the number of studs you put on. Think about a bed of nails....too many and they will never penetrate, too few and that puts too much stress on each stud. the heavier the rider the more studs you can use. the lighter the rider the fewer studs you will want. Remember that only about 1/3 of the studs are on the ground at any one time.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You guys are all right. It depends on what type of riding you do. If you just want better traction and dont care about draggin, 96. If you are an aggressive trail rider who does occational drags, 120. If you do mostly lake riding and drag alot or just want the maximum traction out of that 500, then 144 is the absolute max. I would try and go with a 7mm stud instead of the 5/16" stud for the weight savings.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
614 Posts
If your sled is band new, it will come with a track warranty. I've been told that putting studs any where but up the middle section of your track would void the warranty. So 96 studs would be the most that I would put in to keep the warranty good. I've only got 96 in my ZRT600 and i works good.

"tie wrap it wide open"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts