Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used those new polymer or nylon backers that are out there. They are supposed to be lighter than aluminum but are they as durable? I'm looking for some opinions..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Me and my dad have nylon backers on our sleds and have not pulled a stud yet my uncle had aluminum and he pulled one last year.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've had square nylon backers on my sled for 4 seasons, haven't lost any yet.

Jacqui.

/snofan/../images/users/jacqui583/sleds03.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
IMHO
I don't think that you'll notice any difference in durability or that one particular type will pull the stud through the track. It all comes down to personal preference based on looks and price.
I've run both and haven't had any problems with either one.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I've only got 260 miles on my diamond head nylon composite backers, but so far they're holding up nicely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used those nylon backers that had the nylon nut molded in it on my 2000 XC 700. 4000+ miles later and still have not lost one. Studs are looking a little worn but they are all still there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that I know the nylon backers hold up well what brand of studs are you guys running? There's so many out there I can't decide.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I ran Woody's on my XLT with the nylon backers but I had some problems with the backers breaking in 1/2 after a season. Don't know maybe it was just mine. Running Woody's again with the large aluminum backers on my new sled. so far so good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts