Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I went for a ride yesterday and a 2"x6" chunk ripped out of the edge of my track. I have a stock poo track in the corner of my garage that im going to stud and put on my sled for the rest of the season.
I was wondering can I put two studs close togather so the backers are touching? Or will they pull out easier?
also anyone made there own template? I want to do either 96 or 144 down the middle of my track.
I already have the studs and square backers and I want them to touch because I want to upgrade them to double backers over the summer.
Thanks in advance.

· Registered
15,705 Posts
This is what I did hooks very well.
Architecture Room Building Ceiling Interior design

Transport Vehicle Tire Auto part Automotive wheel system

Attachments

· Registered
2,957 Posts
Here's where I go for stud patterns:
http://www.studboytraction.com/

· Registered
15,705 Posts
KingPrat said:
Metal Architecture

My own creation. 144 down the middle.
Pretty much simular to studboys pattern. How are the doubles on ice? Do they dig a 2" patch? or just 2 lines??

· Registered
3,748 Posts
You would need to know the exact dimension of the double-backers you intend to use. Plus, I don't think you can put two single-backers close enough to replace them with a double-backer.

I have placed two single-backers within 1/8-inch of each other. I don't think it would be a problem. My thought is that if you have two studs right next to each other, and one is grabbing, chances are the other one is, too. And two single-backers have more surface area than one double-backer.

On the other hand, if you are doing 144 down the center in a 2,4,2,4 pattern, I think double backers are a better way to get more scratch lines. I like the idea of KingPrat's pattern.

Here's a photo of the 120 pattern that I came up with. I wrote it out on paper, and just used a measuring tape with no template.

Originally, I was going to go with this pattern, which I had a template for, but it didn't work with the angled lugs on my track, because the backers would ride up on some of the lugs. This 120 pattern could easily be made into a 144 by adding 2 more studs on every fourth pitch.

Here's the template I bought. But I added the numbers, drew the scratch lines, and drilled the extra holes in the bottom row to get 120 instead of 96. Mark all the "1s", move the template, mark all the "2s", move the template, etc.

· Registered
114 Posts
My pattern is two double backers then two singles then two double backers then two singles and on and on,i ride a lot on oil lease roads and thru wood trails with unlimited tree roots ect have not hurt a single stud and i'm not shy to grab a hand full of throtle,if you want look at my gallery photos to see the pattern,very durable set-up.

Just wanted to mention you could'nt pay me to put any on the outside strips of track,middle only.

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Here is my buddies track, 1.25 with 96 studs down the middle...nothing wrong with the long V.

Metal

Attachments

· Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats what wrecked my track. i had studs on the outside when i bought it and i pulled them out all except one that wouldent budge. i figured ahhh it will be fine... well it riped out and took alot of track with it.
what is the big deal with the double backers anyway? do they hook up better or somthing?

· Registered
1,523 Posts
xcr440 said:
KingPrat said:
Metal Architecture

My own creation. 144 down the middle.
Pretty much simular to studboys pattern. How are the doubles on ice? Do they dig a 2" patch? or just 2 lines??
I have no idea. Haven't been on sheer ice to see. I would assume they dig 2 lines.

Attachments

· Registered
114 Posts
sTOrMy96 said:
thats what wrecked my track. i had studs on the outside when i bought it and i pulled them out all except one that wouldent budge. i figured ahhh it will be fine... well it riped out and took alot of track with it.
what is the big deal with the double backers anyway? do they hook up better or somthing?

My experience is they don't rip out taking chunks of track with them, also note double tall lock nuts,give the stud a lot more stability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.