Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard a few weeks ago that Wisconsin is trying to BAN studs on our trails. They say that " they tear up the road!"Yea well i say that is bull$hit! How often do snowmobiles ride on the road?HUH? Not very often...maybe 10 feet here,10 feet there,but nothing that damages the roads that mich..I mean cars damage the roads more than snowmobiles! I mean c'mon people, Wisconsins government is SOO flippin DUMB! jim doyle and is gay budget plan...this doesn't concern snowmobilin,but hus budget is cutting off almost all money for deaf and blind schools nad sefvices( and my bro is deaf). Putting this ....THING....into our laws would cost Wisconsinites soo much money. Most people would have to buy new tracks...and what for jsut so our roads won't have 3 feet wide sections with little marks on them! I know for one that i would be pissed,as well as most of my friends becasue we would have to buy new tracks or pull all of our studsout and then have holes in our track. another thing that would be gay about this law is what about the trails that go over ice...HUH? The sleds would slide all over...therefore causing accidents or even deaths! I think that whoever thought of this idea should be run over by a sled wit 200+ studs on it![}:)]

·
Registered
273 Posts
Most people I think would just take out their old studs. Maybe another reason why studs are being banned is because some people end up tearing out studs on the road and then cars run over them and get flats. I've heard of about 15 cases and maybe more about this throughout the winter. That wouldn't happen as much though if the snow conditions were better. Chances are that once they are banned, accidents and complaints will come in and they will be allowed again. Hopefully they change their mind. Cause I know I could never ride or maybe never even survive w/o studs around here.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea but the reason they get pullud out is becasue people dont take care of their sleds(not all...just some) and they dont check that stuff.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
umm no its not. We check studs constantly and they jsust randomly tear out, its part of having studs and using them. I don't see them ripping or falling out on roads unless your spinning your track which just shouldn't happen on pavement.

·
Registered
375 Posts
well i know here in michigan i have seen parts in the road where the trail crosses and the road is all ditched in and the road sucks, but heck, that road is pretty old. also, it might not be just studs. at crossings, alone your carbides can easily tear the road. it is just the COUNTYS job to take care of that. also, i know a lady who got 4 flat tires in 1 weekend because she has to drive on a part of the road where the michigan dnr makes the trail go on a road for about 3 miles. then the stupid people have the county plow the road to dirt.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I dont know what they use for paveing elsewere but around here it is asphalt.and it doesent seem to hurt it.but studs do tear cement to pieses,i have my shop floor to prove it.but i cant imagine them useing cement anywhere it freezes.you would think it would get awefull slippy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
These idiots who want to ban studs should take a ride on a snowmobile with no studs accross a lake, or down a hill with ice on it or try to make it up a hill with ice. After they roll, hit a tree, hit another sled or just sit there and spin, maybe then they will see the reason sleds need studs. Not just for performance, but for safety. They have special flat headed carbide studs today just for people who want control but dont want to damage roadways. I've had studs in my 6 sleds and never had a stud tear out. The people who are ripping out studs are either spinning the snot out of there track on marginal snow or dont have enough studs in there track to disperse the traction evenly. I ride hard at times, but I take care of my equipment. Think people. Thats all it takes is some common sense when riding. If they do ban studs, I say lets go over to that Doyles house and tear up his lawn!!!!!!! Only joking!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I doubt a total stud ban would fly. Here in MN, studs are banned on paved trails. Alternate routes are always available though. Additionaly, a stud fee is imposed on snowmobiles that do run studs.

Personaly, I've been riding snowmobiles for over 20 years without studs. I've left the trail once in those twenty years due to not being able to make a corner, and that was due to high speeds and acolhol back when I was young and foolish. Nowadays, I leave the boozing for afterwards if at all.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
98mxzx440, Where did you hear this from?? I doubt it will ever happen. After a couple bad snow years I cannot see them even trying to do this.

As far as studs, I used to ride without them. But since I have started using them,the only way I would stop is if they were banned.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have never rode with studs, so I don't know how much better it is. I am sure it is safer. But I also thinks it BS way people say they have to have them for safety. Its more a matter of driving within your and your machines limits. I've had one accident where I think studs might have helped. I was going to fast downhill and around a corner.
I've never heard of people getting flats. If it is true I think they should be banned immediatly. You have no right to cause other people harm.
As far as all the people who say if you just ride like this, the way I do, you won't have a problem, the problem is not everyone is responsible.
As far it is the countys responsibility to fix the road anyways, BS. Its takes maoney to do this, WI is already way over taxed.
I doubt they'll ban them. If they do they should just ban them on roads. Though its pretty hard to get anywhere with crossing a road.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
they are safer, I have rode sleds with them adn with worn out ones, worn out ones I rode were harder to stop and rear swung out easier. A guy we rode with slid sideways on a big patch of ice he didn't know was there and hit a rock then landed on some other rocks and punctured a lung. In the end he will never ride again without studs.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I heard from one of my friends dad who is involved with snowmobilin alot and is in the snowmobile club...I have also heard from other too. I hope that it wont happen. Around here the only thing that happens at crossing is it get a little discolored(darker)...and maybe a few pin size holes!

·
Registered
109 Posts
98mxzx440 and i r pretty good buds and we like to ride. I think this whole deal is bull and studs dont only increase performance but also make riding safer[ traction..] and here by us there are hardly and long spots that trail on the roads. Anyways we hardly ever get to ride because we never get snow! anyways i have nothing else to say other than this whole thing is stupid. we should keep studs and thats that. Peace out~[:(!]

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just got my sled 2 weeks ago ('97 Polaris Ultra SPX) and it had studs when I bought it. Since then I have gone riding with my friends, and we have crossed a bunch of roads, even some bridges. The point is, there is no reason to loose studs on road crossings. The only reason you will loose a stud is if your burining out, and that is not only bad for the road, thats also bad for the sled. Whenever going across a road, my frinds and I all agree that it should be taken slowly, and easy on the throddle. You could tear your track if you burn out too much, and that costs a lot of $$$ and time. There is really no need for a road to be noticably chewed up at a snowmobile crossing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
it idiots who spin their goddamn tracks on the roads that screws everything up. first of all it doesnt get you anywhere and second it wears the studs and track down

1 - 18 of 18 Posts