Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 MXZ 700 and it has a 1" track w/144 Woody's studs on it. I ride in PA and we don't usually get winters like you Northerners do but last year was beyond incredible. I'm considering either taking them off or selling the track as is (great condition-no tearouts that I could see) and going studless. I'm not convinced that I need the studs but I know I should try it first. Are they worth their weight?[:)] (God I love puns) Thanks in advance for your replies

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
IMO, i think they are worth it.

If you do get another track, at least keep your studded track in case you decide you want your studs back on. It will save you big $$$ in the end.

I will admit, i've been riding snowmobiles for many years, but this will be the very first year i put studs on my machine. I've had way too many close-calls and near misses on slippery trails that it's become a safey thing for me. I really don't like using them, but there's no better traction than studs IMO.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I would keep them. The only reason not to have them is the fun you get from sliding around on ice which isn't always fun.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I have them and I am glad I do, I'll keep using them, at least until the governor says I can't. When I rode my friend's REV last year without studs, I found I'd break loose bad on corners I would normally just carve right thru. While it's fun when it's planned, it's not fun when you don't expect it to happen. We get a lot of ice dams in March and going across 100 ft of ice on a trail can be exciting without them.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Keep the studs, you'll be glad you did. If you were riding in the mountains, that would be one thing. You're definately going to see ice in PA again at some point, and when you do, you'll be glad you still have the studs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would keep the studs! I for many years rode a polaris 500 with no studs and was alright, I liked the feeling of kicking the back end out on turns. I now ride a 700 and there is no way I would not of studdded it. Even just for breaking purposes - you do stop a lot faster. My thoughts.[8D]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info. I'll probably hang on to that track even if I do try to go studless (good suggestion). If I hook up good enough I'm sure I can dump the studded one with the condition it's in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts