Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to stud my sled, but am a little put off by the prices. I was looking on woody's site and they recommend either 168 or 192 studs at 1.075 inch length. That is a butt load of studs. With 192 studs, backers and runners to match the total would be $651.36!! That is an insane amount of money!!! Any recommendations?

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
how big are your track lugs?

You have an 800, so I would recommend 144. I know people here who run 2002 ZR 800's with 96 but I don't think it's enough. 144 would be enough.

I have a 600 and I have 96 studs. I run with an 800 up to about 80 MPH and I think I have enough traction, so 144 should be enough.

JMO

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br] I know people here who run 2002 ZR 800's with 96 but I don't think it's enough. 144 would be enough.
I agreee, the worst thing for a track is being over powered and under studded. Just ask mine, I have a 580 with 96, now it has 91 and I need a new track.

My track also has a factor that the person that put the studs in did not know what they were doing. I will never have a track with the studs on the outside of the track again. WSA racers are not allowed to do it and they corner fine.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Definately try to get your studs form an aftermarket dealer. I picked up 96 of the 1.005" Woody's Megabite studs for $109. I also got the nylon composite diamond backers for about $35. I ran them all up the middle in Woody's aggressive pattern on my 97 XLT SP. I'll never ride a sled without studs again!

But definately try to go through an aftermarket dealer, its waaaaaaaaay cheaper.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Tfin70
[br]Definately try to get your studs form an aftermarket dealer. I picked up 96 of the 1.005" Woody's Megabite studs for $109. I also got the nylon composite diamond backers for about $35. I ran them all up the middle in Woody's aggressive pattern on my 97 XLT SP. I'll never ride a sled without studs again!

But definately try to go through an aftermarket dealer, its waaaaaaaaay cheaper.

Where did you get yours from? Online store? It seems that every place online it extremely expensive. I should just go run up to canada and use the exchange rate to my advantage!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
No, unfortunately he's a little aftermarket shop here in central Maine, and I don't believe he has a website or anything. Not sure if he'd ship or not.

So I'm guessing that there aren't any of these type of places around your area. If not, yeah, try Canada for the cheaper rate. Anything to not have to pay over $600 for studs! Here's a link you might want to ckeck out. They're not Woody's but they look like FasTrack.......good price with a warrenty. You make the call.

www.richmotorsports.com/studs2.html

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sometimes, repeat SOMETIMES, you can get away with just saying you're a racer and the dealer will cut you a deal. It worked for me, but I can't guarantee it will work for you. That's how I scored this weekend's project: 192 - 1.25" FastTrac Carbide II, with twin hole, angled, backer plates.

Also, never buy directly from the manufacturer (via website or any other location) as you'll only pay MSRP. If ANY manufacturer offered sweet deals, there would never be a reason for distributers or dealers.

Also, but IMHO, go with:

- carbide-tipped, or you'll just be spending the same amount next year
- Stainless, to prevent bending/breaking
- 1" heads, or as large as possible, to keep them from pulling through.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I'll second Rich motorsports. Bought a set 2 years ago from him with 2500 miles on them and no problems. He sells them at shows for $1 for stud ,nut and backer.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have to disagree with PMan. If you ride aggressively at all 144 are not enough for a 140 HP sled. If you follow Woodys studding charts you will see that 192 is the number to go with. I run 192 1.075 Sabers on my 800 with 10" Woodys on front. When I replace my studs I will do it differently, I will go with 1.175 Woodys Megabites.
I ran against an MXZX800 and a ZR800 last year, my lack of traction(and reaction time) was very evident. My sled shot a rooster tail of snow and ice, theirs bit in and took off. By the time I started gaining ground on them about 90 or 95 mph they shut down.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by RtkatZL8
[br]I have to disagree with PMan. If you ride aggressively at all 144 are not enough for a 140 HP sled. If you follow Woodys studding charts you will see that 192 is the number to go with. I run 192 1.075 Sabers on my 800 with 10" Woodys on front. When I replace my studs I will do it differently, I will go with 1.175 Woodys Megabites.
I ran against an MXZX800 and a ZR800 last year, my lack of traction(and reaction time) was very evident. My sled shot a rooster tail of snow and ice, theirs bit in and took off. By the time I started gaining ground on them about 90 or 95 mph they shut down.
Woody's site recommends 1.075" studs. What is your reason to go to the taller studs? Is there a greater risk of track/tunnel damage with the taller studs?

·
Registered
506 Posts
you'll need tunnel protectors, other than that, shouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
what's better the push through or t-nuts? and who offers the largest diameter head?

I've got 96 woody traction masters steel studs that have been sitting around for many many years. See when I got these studs the brain was not as smart as it is today...non-carbide, small head, small shank, and did I mention non-carbide[}:)] I don't want to install these and have them get destroyed right away (but I think my bike needs some real studs..hehe) so I'm looking for a carbide large-diameter-head stud that is going to be durable. Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Topgun xzp's or Warthog xzp's. Lifetime bend or break guarantee. 1" head
www.sabertraction.com
Cheaper if you buy from a dealer.
www.selectsales1.com
He sometimes has them on Ebay.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think the studding charts for ANY studding company are just made to get you to buy more of their studs. It's either that or they expect you to be racing on pure ice all the time. On any kind of hardpack trail, 144 should be enough for an 800, because on trails you paddles take up about 50% of the torque, and the studs take the other. Not all the pressure is on the studs like with ice riding. On ice, yeah youll prolly rip one or two out after a few hundred miles, but i can control myself and not jam the throttle on pure ice. We really only have hardpack where i am anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts