Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i bought my 95 ext 580 the guy had 48 studs in it...after brining it home and looking over the track i noticed some studs missing...and some loose...but most of them are dull and old...so there are a few studs missing...i was wandering should i just take them all out or just leave them in whats in there...isnt it bad if a few studs are missing cause its bad for the track right?...

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
614 Posts
I don't think 48 studs are enough for a sled that size, you should think about installing at least 72 ,better with 96,or take them out. If you do install studs you should tighten them every 500 miles ,or they will have a better chance of
come out and causing damage.I lot 16 on the last ride last year from being lazy and not checking mine,today I started installing a new track. woodys has a new stud called MEGABITE thats what i'll be using this year on my F7.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I'm with sleddaver on this one...you definatly need more than 48 studs on a 580. Add more to make it at least 96 studs or remove the ones that are already in the track.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the ideas....i think im goona just goona take them out...they are the TCD studs...they were bought at one of those snowmobile shows they are on page 39 in the 2003 hiperf catalog if anyone has it...they are the .875 ones but they are real worn...so i think ill just end up taking them out i dont do much lake riding anyways and i was never really a fan of studs

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i have the pyramid shaped studs...they are junk i think...but the guy didnt know much about snowmobiles...we bought the sled for $1400 and it only had 1500 orginal miles but was a little ruff...we had to put a brand new shock in the rear suspension the guy had scratches in the hood ferom pushing the trailer to far back and rubbing the hood...the rear motor mount broke 2 times it broke on me once so now its been welded 3 times and i cracked the front motor mount because the belt blew due to the clutches not being ligned because every time u would give it gas the motor would pick up and the clucthes wouldnt be aligned...but we got it all fixed and it still has under 2000miles on it....didnt put any miles on it last season due to it was in and out of the shop

·
Registered
55 Posts
What do you guys thing the best stud pattern and #of studs for a 600? For the money is it worth it? I ride mainly on groomed trails with some hill climbs.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well in my opinion the best pattern is the "V" shaped pattern. Obviously tractor tires have been using this type of pattern for decades now. As for the number of studs that depends on the way you ride, not necessilarily where you ride. If you are a cruising type of rider 96 studs all in the middle of the track would be what i suggest. If you are on the gas and brakes hard all the time i would suggest 144 studs with the 96 pattern down the center belt of the track and the rest on the outside belts. Now you gotta think about your money issue....i cant say they are worth it or not. I "personally" think they are worth the money, I just installed 144 woody's gold diggers in my Triumph (600 triple). So i would say this once again is dependant on the way you ride not where you ride. Hope this helps some

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts