Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hate studs, last week i ripped my 6 year old track because i threw a stud on the outside of the track and ripped out about a 6x4 inch piece of my track. 400 dollars later i have a new track. (with no studs)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
don't forget about the 200.00 dollars you'll need to restud after you ride it a couple a times without 'em. i just went through the same thing . i rode without 'em last trip, after forkin out 409.00 beans on a new track. i found out once you have 'em, goin without kinda bites, especially in those icy corners. so, i be a restuddin'!!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i noticed that after riding 300 miles without them, but if i were to stud again id go just down the center, but most likely i wont do it

·
Registered
273 Posts
I tore a stud on the outside section about 2 weeks ago and a chunk of track with it. I had it repaired for $100(u.s.) and just moved the rest of the studs from the outside to the center. Not one problem after 150 miles I have done on it so far. It's a lot cheaper then buying a 400$ track and 200$ studs.

Originally posted by Jokester886
[br]i hate studs, last week i ripped my 6 year old track because i threw a stud on the outside of the track and ripped out about a 6x4 inch piece of my track. 400 dollars later i have a new track. (with no studs)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yea just not too long ago... a stud ripped off my track, and scraped a hole in my cooling exchange/radiator.... so i had to weld that up.. then cut my track.. i now i have a huge hole in my track because i dont have 400 bucks for a new track...[:(]

·
Registered
227 Posts
Remember, for the most part losing studs is directly related to snow conditions:
Spinning track in corners = lost studs on the outside
Poor conditions + spinning track + hitting ground = lost studs.
Good snow conditions + nice hardpack = great traction

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right, but when you dont have studs you dont have to worry about spinning your track or when jumping and landing on hard pack[:)]

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I ride a ZRT with 6000 miles on it and never pulled out a stud yet.144 stainless carbides down the center.a popular mistake is not enough studs or badly worn studs.then they will pull through.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't put studs on the outside, my friends sled's track was new the beginning of this year with 144 studs, last month he brought it in to the dealer and they said the track was very unsafe because studs had ripped off on the outside of the track, so instead of buying a new track and studs, he sold the sled and bought a rev,

Patrick

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, you gotta love the guys who when they have a problem, get new. but also, when you have a thrown stud you can also culderize it. if you dont know what that is you get like old screw driver or something, get it red hot with a torch or something, and melt the threads where the stud used to be. it works great.

·
Registered
864 Posts
mm studs good..!
I'm out for the season because a sled in group did not have studs and lost it on a snow icey road. I was tagged have a broken leg and a banged up sled to show for it. As I watch another 8" of fresh snow overnight.. grrr
Unless your in a new/ powder snow constantly you have to try it to know. I rode without for years, and will not consider it now to ride without. I look at them as I do for new carbides.

4 sleds 25000 miles , 2 pull thoughs, two bent studs (warranty replaced.. Next pattern will be 168 in the middle on a 1.25

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
what stud on the face of gods green earth has a warranty (what does it cover,how long, etc,). i best be buyin those if thats the case!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Most studs are warrantied. If they bend over, carbide tips fall out, or break. For the price of what it costs to make a stud, compared to the price they sell them for, warranting a couple here and there is no big deal. Keeping the customer happy for repeat business is what it is all about. Good business practice.
I'm sure if you take a stud back that has been on a sled 10 years and worn down to the nut it won't be replaced, its a judgement call.
I have had a couple of studs replaced. Took them back to the place I bought them, reached into the barrel of studs and grabbed a couple and went on my way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
all my studs are down the middle, never had a problem with them. (in the 2 weeks I have owned my sled :) )

·
Registered
864 Posts
Fast Trac top gun II's.Was'nt really the stud that bent but the aluminum backer. They provided the stud and the backers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
by the best studs you can afford dont cheapout just because there is a year warrentee that dont mean shit if you have to replace the track or have to pull 10 out to send back to china and wait for new ones

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here in NY, not many lakes that freeze enough to ride on, but just sheer agility and safety have made the legislation reconsider banning studs. Many have them, many don't, but we all get along when a sled stops quick and the one behind them has studs and halts w/o hitting them

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
some states are considering banning studs because the tear up the roads and when theyre thrown, people drive over them and get flats

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
some states are considering banning studs because the tear up the roads and when theyre thrown, people drive over them and get flats

1 - 20 of 26 Posts