Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the winter comes around me and my dad want to get studs on the sleds. One is a 2001 500 MXZ and the other is 2003 500 MXZ. Where is the best place to buy studs (the stud, tools, template....everything), how many and what size should we go with being that they are 500. We want to studs more for stopping and not slipping around. Not for take off.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7653

Check out my reply to that topic, that should help answer a few questions.

For number of studs...i'd say go with 96 all down the center belt. Stud length depends on your track lug height, see the above link for more info on that.

For the best deals on studs and equipment, i'd start lookin at the snowmobile shows, grass drag races, etc. They usually have some good deals there.

Any more questions, just ask

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I bought my stuff a couple of years ago from snowmobilerider.com. There are a ton of places to buy stuff from. I agree with Triumphoveru, it's very important to get the right length for your track lug height. I put 96 on my 1999 Indy 500. You will need longer carbides on the skis too. Checkout the Studboy website for good info on size, installation, patterns etc.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
what is your track lug height. should say in your owners manual.u will need to know before ordering your studs.remeber to put on tunnel protectors if u stud the track, ski-doo protectors are easy at least on my mxz they were.[8D]

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
if u can afford it go with the nylon round backers. i put square on my mxz and they wamt to turn on ya.i used woodys megabites 1 inch on mine good luck.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I'd put 96 down the middle, don't get the carbide tipped ones, I put them on my 600, and have had nothing but trouble with the tippes comming out, and I have the square nylon backers, they work very well, but are a pain to keep straight when tightening the stud into place.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
must have been bad studs, never had a problem with mine, on my xc 700 with 120 studs. No pull outs or broken studs. The backers don't have to be straight either, that just makes it look good. If they spin let them be they won't hurt anything. I've put 3000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I've got carbide tips on mine and they are fine. Wearing down but fine after 1,400 miles or so. I have the round plastic backers and nuts. Work fine with no broken or puller studs.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
i have never hade any problems with carbide tips yet either. i guess it depends on what stud brand u choose u get what u pay for.

·
Registered
93 Posts
96 Fast Track Top Gun II with stainless steel nuts and round plastic backers (use the fast track) You can order them from Shadetree.com. Do not buy the round plastic backers that include the nuts!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
www.sabertraction.com
Warthog or Topdog XZP's
LIFETIME bend or break warranty!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Having square backers sideways CAN do something. It causes different stress and makes the track more prone to tear outs. My dad uses round backers now and they seem to be better in that way.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
like I said before, no tear outs ever. Ive been snowmobiling for 15 years with studs. never have i worried how the backers look or if they were straight or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts