Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1998 polaris xc 440, just got it a week or so ago and i was wondering if i should studd it? if so how many, what kind and how long?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice choice. I too was looking hard at the XC's but got my other tie for first choice, a 2000 MXZ 700. I also have been debating whether or not to keep my studded track. Mine has a .9" track w/ around 144 1" Woody's studs on it. I got used to sledding without studs and enjoy gettin a little sideways when I want to. I think the best suggestion that I could give is to try sledding w/out them and see how you like it. It really depends on where you ride as well. I live in PA and the conditions are not always perfect (although last year was incredibe!!) If you find yourself on alot of ice, I'd get them. If you get alot of natural snow and have access to groomed trails, you might not need them. I have yet to ride my "new" sled, but I posted a similar post and most said to keep them. If we get hammered like last year, I'm buying a 1" track and taking this one off. But if I'm riding in marginal conditions which usually has plenty of ice around here, I will probably be glad to have them. As far as how many, 96 is probably the minimum for trail riding but 120-144 are common also. Hope all this helps and good luck w/ the new ride.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would sudgest putting 96 woodys carbide tiped studs in. If you do stud it watch your tunel.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey snonut, where in PA you ride? (I live in PA too)

I am debating about whether to stud my new sled or not - my old sled (600XC) had 144 studs... I will probably drive it w/o studs and see if i like the way it rides.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
96-1" studs down the middle of the track. Woody's have a lousy warranty and are living on their name. Go with the stainless steel and lifetime no bend or break warranty.

www.sabertraction.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts