Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my 99 Indy500 (has only 700 miles). I have to pull the thing 15-25 times to get it started! The only time this happens is when I ride it for more than 15 minutes and then I shut it off and let it sit for 15 minutes to 2 hours. It seems it will not start when it is right between the warm and cold stage. I have tried all different postions of the choke and gas. It starts great when it is cold or when I shut it off for only 5 minutes, but not inbetween. I had a pre-season service done on it, new plugs, spark plug caps, etc. I checked the spark plugs and I am getting plenty of fire.
It has made it very frustrating!! I hate to stop and grab something to eat with friends, because they are always waiting for me to get my sled started again.
Can anyone give me suggestions?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Plain and simple...you need to pull the carbs and clean them. I dont know if this was done in your pre-season service but i am almost positive that it is your problem. First check your pilot jets to be sure they are clean, next check your needle valves to be sure they are shutting all the way off, and finally make sure you dont have a water logged float (sinks in the gas instead of floating) that is not boyant enough to shut off the gas. If you are unsure about it, floats are probably not that expensive, try a new set of floats or make sure that yours are not stuck.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much TriumphoverU, I will have them take the carbs apart. I had asked them to do that in the pre-season check, but it sounds like they might not have done it.
I hope this does the trick.
Would shutting off the gas when I turn it off help this problem until I bring it to the shop? I don't feel totally comfortable pulling the carbs apart by myself and I might try to sneak in a ride before the shop...or would that be really bad for the sled?
Kind of new to the whole sled thing. Love the sport just not familar with all the mechanics...yet.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Shutting the fuel switch off during non-use may temporarily solve the problem till you get a chance to have it serviced. When you take the sled into have it serviced, tell them what you originally posted here, to make sure i am on the right track (no pun intended) As i can not physically see or hear what is going on with your sled....but as far as i can tell its definatly the carbs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
pulling the carbs and cleaning them is not a very hard task if you have a couple of hours you can do it yourself and know that it is done right. if you do do it your self you can email me at [email protected] or reply here and i will walk you through it or i have msn messenger at the same adress. If you run into trouble i would be glad to help.

Vmaxyam

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
if you pull the carbs off the floats are in the bowl. The bowl shaped thing on the bottom of the carb. They are little things that slide up and down.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yup...clean the carbs. Just did the wife's after the same prob. Working great now. You'll see the diff. Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all the help you guys have given me. I really appreciate the time you all have taken to reply. I am also glad that I am not the only one having this problem. I might get adventurous and try to do it by myself...maybe. If I do decide to do it by myself, do I just clean all the individual parts with a carb cleaner? Or do I need a special type of cleaner? Do I need to adjust the carb? Or do I leave everything the way I found it? How do I tell if the floats are bad? Is there a simple way to test the floats?
Is there a manual out there for Polaris carbs that I can use as a guide? I am more a visual learner, so it would be helpful if I had pictures to look at to see what everything is suppose to look like.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,

Depending on what carb you have, I found a bunch of links for pictures of carbs, and steps to cleaning them.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/indextech.html
http://www.winderosa.com/sitemap.html
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Carb_Clean.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~sidskids/spraycarb.htm
http://www.factorypro.com/tech/indextech.html
http://www.speedandsport.com/jet.html

Hope this helps, Now you have to find out what kinda of carb you have. Probably Mikuni or Tilitson.

Oh look at me, mister expert all of a sudden. I am by no means and expert, but I do know how to search on the internet and have taken down my first mikuni carb. I know one of the links has a full picture of each carb. Down to every screw and spring.

Hope the links help

Cheers

Giger

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any carb cleaner i also use compressed air to blow out the passages. Check float hieght while your in there.Floats should do just that float. no holes ect. they control the amount of fuel in the bowl so if they dont float they will continue to let fuel into the carberator causing flooding.

Vmaxyam

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just to add to vmaxyam that the floats actuate the needle and seat so even if the floats turn out to be ok, the needle and seat are extemely important too. If they have gunk on them or are worn, float level won't stop the flow of fuel to the carb.

That happened on my motorbike and I'm pretty sure that one cylinder kept filling with fluid. It would turn over once and then stop abruptly, leak down, then crank again, fire then huge backfire. I did this about three times and then the piston rod broke in half on my next ride and grenaded the motor. Man that was ugly! [ sigh ]

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

Edited by - Bman on January 09 2002 6:22:13 PM

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey i was wondering when i tried to clean my carbs i didn`t do it all. Will this effect my starting? And when i did clean them i think i might have got crap on the needle. will this also effect my hard starting? This could be why its in the shop.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The easiest way to clean your carbs, is to turn the adjusting screws IN until you feel slight resistance of bottoming out, and make sure you count the number of turns it takes to go from the original position to all the way in. Now when you put the carbs back together you know exactly where to put the screws. You will have only 2 screws to do this with. An air screw, and an Idle screw. Other than those 2 screws there is nothing else that is adjustable in your carbs unless you start installing different jets. Just take the carbs apart and clean everything inside them. Personally i just buy the aresol can of carb cleaner from wal-mart for 78 cents and it works great. I usually clean all the passages and dissassemble the carb completely, then i take the float bowl and remove the floats fill the bowl with carb cleaner and soak all the jets and small parts in the cleaner. One tip for you inexperenced guys. If your Inlet needle for your gas has a rubber tip, DO NOT soak this or any other thing that is rubber for that matter in carb cleaner, it will eat the rubber and then be called junk. If i ever get a digital camera, then i will do a complete step by step clean so that you guys can easily see how easy it really is.

·
Registered
948 Posts
compressed air is also useful too. If you don't have a compressor, get one of those cans you use for cleaning your computer(if you do
). they work great for blowing passages out. they may contain moisture though so let the carbs dry thoroughly before you reassemble.

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
nice forum, If the shop cant get this characteristic out of your machine, you could try what I had to. I have had over twenty polaris machines and several of my indy 650's did that. everything was clean and adjusted correctly it just did it. I found that when you come back to your sled from a stop simply pull it over with the choke off and the throttle to the bar like you would if it was flooded. Keep on the throttle as it stumbles to life and then feather it to clean it out. Always started first pull for me using this method. Don't even try anything else just to see if it might work this time go directly to this method or youll be pulling and pulling and pull.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts