Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal. In March 2006 I put a reverse kit on my 97 XLT LTD. Ran it around the yard and on the stand. Also ran it on the stand different times through the summer. Rode the sled Monday 50 miles and 2 days later I have oil on the shed floor under the chaincase side. Here's why I'm stumped. If I had cut the gasket or something, why didn't it leak all summer. Also, if one of the seals was leaking wouldnt there be oil on the brake disc or underneath where the driver shaft goes into the case? I haven't looked any deeper than that so far but I guess I'll pull it apart this weekend. Got to have her ready to go for the SF Isabella ride coming up.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
make sure the rubber seal meets and the top and put little bit of black silicone where the rubber seal meets up

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put the split at the top and used the silicone so that probably isn't the problem. Thanks for the post though[:D]

·
Registered
9 Posts
its not hard to find an oil leak . lift the sled up , stick your head under and look for oil under tunnel where seal is at. no oil there run your finger all around chaincase cover feeling for oil . if it is a o-ring that has been usedfor a long time it will flatten and leak. what i`m trying to say is that there are only so many places to lose oil .

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
you might have worped your chain case/cover. I dont know if those sleds had those problems or not.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
is it coming from the bottom of the chaincase or around the drive shaft underneath. could very well be the chaincase seal on the driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by bigwedgies
[br]is it coming from the bottom of the chaincase or around the drive shaft underneath. could very well be the chaincase seal on the driveshaft.
i second this thought. if it's not coming out of the cover seal, or the drain plug, the next reasonable spot to check in my mind is the driveshaft seal.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had the same problem i redid my chaincase cleaned it new seals and what not and it leaked but it didnt lose it form the chaincase lol if that makes any sense at all. I had used amsoil synthetic in it and there was oil leaking from somewhere around the chaincase never did find it and it has never come back i dont know what happened but my oil is real nice loooking and still as good as ever put 300 miles on it and no oil lol. just wait and see if your loosing oil then worry that ory you could have spilt some> some where

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
talcum powder (baby powder)will show you where its leaking. and the sled likes the feeling too,lol, but seriously, thats what i do when the leak is hard to find

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the posts guys. I'll get a chance to look at it closer some time this weekend.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found my leak. Found out it was my overflow tube for the oil injector bottle. Filled it full 2 nights after my ride. Tonight I looked around the chaincase and found no leaks from the seals or gasket. Then I took the lid off the oil bottle again and when I screwed it back on I watched the end of the overflow tube and the pressure created when putting it back on pushed oil out the end of the tube. Guess I got the bottle a little too full. I am now much more at ease since I found the so called chain case leak.
Originally posted by Bart3298
[br]Ok, here's the deal. In March 2006 I put a reverse kit on my 97 XLT LTD. Ran it around the yard and on the stand. Also ran it on the stand different times through the summer. Rode the sled Monday 50 miles and 2 days later I have oil on the shed floor under the chaincase side. Here's why I'm stumped. If I had cut the gasket or something, why didn't it leak all summer. Also, if one of the seals was leaking wouldnt there be oil on the brake disc or underneath where the driver shaft goes into the case? I haven't looked any deeper than that so far but I guess I'll pull it apart this weekend. Got to have her ready to go for the SF Isabella ride coming up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts