Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes we learn from other's mistakes. I was thinking about a situation that happened about 20 years ago.

A bunch of us were bar hopping on sleds. It was after last call and we were all heading back to one guy's house for a party. The lake was the most direct route. One of the guys had a dog sled and was towing it behind his sled. One of the other guys was riding standing up on this dog sled. Of course, everyone was clowning around, the guy driving the sled was weaving back and forth to see if he could knock the guy off the dogsled as they cruised across the lake. Well sure enough, he fell off, and was promptly run over by the guy riding behind him.

They got him to the hospital where he was kept overnight for observation. We were all still at the house partying the next morning when the phone call came in that he had just died from internal injuries.

Sometimes we do stuff we think is just 'innocent fun', goofing off, and it can have a tragic end.

Anyone else got one to share?

Jacqui.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Wow... that was a very frank matter of factly paragraph that shocked me with its ending. Its more proof that snowmobileing and drinking dont mix. The eirie part about it all is, I would have been the type(minus the booze) to want to be on that dog sled.

Reasonable people adapt to the world around them....Unreasonable people try to change it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
wow...

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I posted this on another newgroup and got a pretty irate response about drinking and riding, you know, the serves him right rant.

To put it into perspective as far at the drinking and riding goes, those were the days before MADD, when the cops pulled you over in your car when you'd had too much to drink and told you to make sure you go straight home! Sometimes they'd follow you to make sure you got there. It wasn't considered the "taboo" that is is today. I'm sure there are a few other posters who remember those days! (I can't be the only old one here, can I?
)

Times have changed for sure, I just posted this because sometimes we don't realize what can happen when you're out having "too much fun".

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, I remember those days, Jacqui. The cops would also drive you home every once in a while, too. But, those days are loooooong gone. It wasn't too long ago that I was arresting folks for drinking and driving. I was pretty good at it, too. Got more DUI arrests than all the other officers on our little dept., combined. It was really amazing to me that there were so many people out there getting hammered and driving. I guess there still is, from what I read in the paper and see on the news...

1998 Arctic Cat Cougar
1999 Arctic Cat Z 440
1995 Ski Doo Formula STX LT

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't think it serves anyone right to die.........well ok I can think of a couple people ie. the snipers on the west coats........ but for drinking and sledding? Stupid mistake but no one deserves to die!

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by jacqui583:
you know, the serves him right rant.

[/quote]

I don't agree with this...

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't trying to glorify or glamorize the situation, or justify it for that matter, it's just a situation that happened and sometimes we need a reality check to look at how we're doing things. It's just something to think about.

Frankly, the same thing could have happened without the alcohol being involved. I'll probably get slammed for this one, but sometimes instead of too much alcohol it's a case of too much testosterone!
Let's all just be careful out there for the sake of our families.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by jacqui583:
Frankly, the same thing could have happened without the alcohol being involved. I'll probably get slammed for this one, but sometimes instead of too much alcohol it's a case of too much testosterone[/quote]

(not on snowmobiles)

Yup. I pulled up next to a friend, and drag raced him down a two lane road, i was in the opposing lane. Speed limit 30mph, with a small hill, that I didnt think would hide a car. At night. We got to about 65mph, and we came up towards the top of the hill, and i saw headlights. I'm so glad I seem to have good reactions. I was pumping the brakes before I even realized what was going on, and I tucked in behind my buddy. I saw the other guy early enough though, I probably could have stopped in time to not hit him. But god damn was I shaking for the rest of the drive home. That's the stupidest, and most scary thing i've ever done I think. Drove by a day later, to check out the scene. There was two black dashed lines in the road.

-Dean

-
let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

http://ripperd2.dhs.org

·
Registered
266 Posts
Jac, It's like they say ; It's all fun til someone gets hurt. I'm from back in the day when drunk and stupid was the way to be,glad I made it through without killin' myself or someone else. Sorry about your friend!

You can Fly with EFI
Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

1 - 10 of 10 Posts