Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i purchased a 2004 polaris classic 700 cc with ves yesterday..sled is in excellent shape otherwise,has electric and reverse..8000kilometers.problem with motor is on mag side it looks as if the powervalve dropped into piston,and it was snapped off..most of the pieces blew out the ports to exhaust,but complete piston skirt was disentegrated,and those pieces of course ended up in the crank!
....DETAILS...
-cylinders surface is mint not even a pin size hole or scrape in nicasil or ports
-no hole in case half where debris landed
-connecting rod still looks good on both ends
-from what i can tell i believe i will do a top end rebuild,as well as split the crank halves to clean out any debris and inspect crank area
-need opinions out there ,what else should i be looking at ,any unforseen things due to this piston dissolve?
-with pistons and cylinders removed..motion feels smooth on rotation of crank!!!..should i be replacing all the crank bearings while i have it apart (8000k),how about crank seals?...any help would be appreciated..thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would suggest doing a total rebuild.
With that make kms you are close enough to a normal rebuild anyway.
I think crank bearings would be a good idea, I have 5400 miles on my 800 when it overheated so Im going to tear the whole thing apart and replace every seal, bearing etc.
You said the sled is in great shape and you have all summer why not do it right so you can get another 6000 miles out of it.
I hear there is a place in Drayton that rebuilds shocks for a fair price too so i think i will be rebuilding all 4 of mine as well as a new engine.
I managed 1500 miles after i broke a exhaust valve before i cooked it again and only rebuilt the one side top end only. So its really your call but I would go the extra mile and get everything rebuilt.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I would have the crank checked by a shop to make sure that it was not knocked out of index.

And since a shop has the crank already, it does not take a whole lot more to replace all the bearings and seals..

·
Registered
454 Posts
yellowstorm800 said:
Sounds like a good candidate for a triple...[thumb]
^^2, im thinnkn your right. I would think of a Storm 800 motor or a xcr 800 motor with nice aaen pipes and clutching and gearing. But thats just me tho.[8D]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts