Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and I signed up because I need some help with a project. My friend and I are 16 (just thought people might want to know), and we recently acquired an engine from a junked Polaris Charger from our church pastor. We did a lot of searching, and have concluded that our engine is the same 335cc engine that was used in the 1976-79 Polaris TX 340 Free Air. Since the sled is junk, unable to be rebuilt, due to rust and such, we decided to build a go-kart using the engine and torque converter right off the sled. We would like to know if anyone knows where we could acquire parts to an engine this old, because there are only simple problems that need fixing, but if left unfixed, the engine will be useless. We have not found anywhere to purchase parts for this engine, so please, if anyone knows where we can (preferably online), then that would be an immense help. Next, can someone confirm if our engine (Polaris EC34P) is the same engine used on both sleds? And lastly, if someone knows the horsepower rating on this engine, could you please let us know? We estimated the engine at 30-34 hp, but we're not too sure of this estimate. Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks HighSierra...I already have looked on mfgsupply.com, but not polarisman.com. Maybe those will be a help! Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey exodus. i also am doing the same project. ive built the frame from the ground up and am ready to start with the motor. i have a 396cc kawasaki engine from a arctic cat sled. the motor is fan cooled,(hopefully that will be enough). the problem im having is how to set up the drive train. i figured i would use just the primary engine clutch and a pulley on the axle. if you or anybody else can think of a reason why this wont work, please let me know. i would also appreciate any advice with this project about anything else you might recomend. thanks to all in advance who reply...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why dont you just put a secondary on the drive axle and then you could have a bit more control or speed. I was going to do the same project but ran out of the money to do it before i started (damn cars)but thats what was recomended to me. hope it helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks mmeadie...i appreciate the input, but how do i mount the secondary clutch to the axle? this is going to drive me crazy before im done:)

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I would try using a setup similar to a snowmobile, in which the Secondary Clutch is mounted onto a jackshaft and then have gears and a chain to your axle. It will be easier to get gears lined up than it would be to keep the secondary in perfect alignment with the primary clutch.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I wouldn't suggest mounting the secondary directly on the drive axle. You need more gear reduction than that would allow. You need to decide on your tire height and then you can make some rough calculations for gear reduction. Mount the secondary on a jackshaft and then drive the rear axle with a chain.

I have a 2 seat gokart that I built a few years back and it currently has a 6hp overhead valve Tecumseh (gokart specific engine) on it. It has 18" diameter rear tires with a solid axle. The motor has a Comet torque convertor drive with a chain drive to the axle. The comet gives an initial 3.2:1 reduction, shifts out to an overdrive, and the chain drive has around 6:1 reduction. I can't recall the exact reduction ratio on the chain, the gokart is out at the cottage. So basically it starts off with around an overall 20:1 gear reduction and ends up around 5:1 when it shifts out. With the 6hp engine it spins the tires with ease in dirt and will probably do 40+ MPH after the clutch shifts out.....faster than you would want to go with a solid axle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm rebuilding my TA440B for a full suspension go kart. You will definatly want a jack shaft. I have a spreadsheet to calculate speed for different gear ratios if anyone wants it. Basically, with 18.5" tires, and no jack shaft, the calculated speed was somewhere around 200MPH! A lot faster than I wanna go on knobby tires :) With a standard jack shaft (10t drive X 72t driven) it'll go about 30, with plenty of power. go to 12t drive and 48t driven, it'll go almost 50!

I'm assuming the torque converter from the sled goes from 4:1 to 1:1 for these calculations. Does anyone know what the real numbers are for a TA440B clutch?

I'm writing a java script for this too where you just put in the gear sizes and it calculates ratios and speeds. If anyone is interested I'll make it available when it's done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sweet sounds... i would definately be interested in the spread sheet. sweet, big willy and canuck, awesome info. i would love to hear any other ideas or suggestions you guys or anyone might have. thanks an awful lot guys. much appreciated...

·
Registered
13 Posts
mrb...
I can't see your Email address in your profile, so shoot me a message at [email protected] and I'll send the spreadsheet. If you don't have Excel, just email me the gear (belt) sizes and engine RPM and I'll run the calculations for you. If anyone is interested, I can post the fomula I used as well.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Umm.. I do actualy have a question..
Will a fan-cooled be ok out of the snow?
Won't it burn up?
Matt

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I've got a go-kart with an old Artic Cat (Kawasaki) 440 fan cooled engine spinning snowmobile clutches with a gear reduction to the rear wheel axle.

I'll go take pics of it and post them here so you can get an idea how it was built.

·
Registered
777 Posts
every one doing this seems to be running a fan cooled.which is great.
i,d be very suprprized a free air will cut it.
i use to have a 69 340 moto ski free air.that thing ran bad when it got to mild in the winter.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Here they are. I bought it from a friend a couple months ago in non-operating condition. The carb is the problem, there are pieces missing in it, so i found a Tilitson (sp?) carb and tried that, but it still won't pump fuel very good. I have yet to drive it, but from what i've heard it was smoking the tires on pavement when it used to run. [:D] <However, it's a one-wheel-wonder. [:(] No solid rear axle...

If you ask me, the frame is pretty crappy (I did not build it), but i had intended on building a new frame for it once i get the carb issue resolved.

/snofan/../images/users/megaman/side2.JPG

/snofan/../images/users/megaman/side3.JPG

/snofan/../images/users/megaman/rear.JPG

/snofan/../images/users/megaman/rear_left.JPG

/snofan/../images/users/megaman/rear_top.JPG

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If anyone wants bigger pics (2048 x 1536) message me and i'll email them to you.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hmm, do you not cover the belt with anything? I dont think I would want that flying through the seat...or hitting someone near it...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts