Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of quick questions about summer storage.

First, I know I've seen this debate before, but I wanted to hear again what everyone's thoughts were pertaining to starting your sled every month or so during the off season. I've always done this and had good results. I've heard some people say you shouldn't start it because it can then build up condensation inside the motor. What do you do and why?

Secondly, if you do periodicaly start your sled in the off season, do you re-fog your motor after each time you start it. I would think you would want to because when you run the engine, I would believe that all that fogging oil would be burned off, so you would need to re-fog it each time. Again, what do you think, and why?

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i usually start mine up and ride it around for a few laps of my yard thats just me tho

My wife said its me or my sleds... Im sure gonna miss her

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you fog it don't run it, unless you like fogging it after each time you run it. The best thing to do is find a dry place to keep it and fog it and let it sit till the ground is white again. Also greese suspension, steering, and jackshafts.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
All i do is give it a nice good wash and wax. grease everything (but the god [email protected] zerk on the steering post behind the motor cuz i cant get to it) add fuel stabilizer to the tank and run it for 4-5 min to get the stabilizer into the carb float bowls, spray the shock shafts with WD-40 to prevent pitting and rust. and dump about 2 oz. of 2-stroke oil down each cylinder. Slowly turn the motor over by hand 5 or 6 revolutions, put the cover on and wait till the ground turns white again.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
502 Posts
anyone ever had trouble with their sleds after putting fuel stabil in their sleds? I have always had gunk in the carbs and the gas seemed to go bad. We always used amoco premium non-oxy fuel and I think that it reacts differently with fuel stabil. Any ideas?

I don't brake until I see God!

·
Registered
425 Posts
someone told me you can turn the fuel supply off and run the motor til it runs out of gas. You would still put Stable in the tank so the gas is OK. Not sure if this would be good or not. I never tried it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
From what I hear you should always shut off your fuel and run your sled until it runs out of gas. Then you should remove the plug from the bottom of the bowl to ensure all the gas is out of the carb. You should also make sure your vent lines on your fuel tank are not pinched to prevent the tank from swelling due to the gas vapours building up as the temp. increases.

1996 Indy Ultra SKS

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey guys if you use the Fuel stablizer, you do not have to run the sled until it is out of gas. I will agree that if you do not use the stable, it is a good idea to get the old gas out of there. When I store my sled now I stablize the the gas and shut off the fuel (this is the 1st year of shutting of the fuel). And that is it, I have never fogged a motor and I don't start it up until Oct when I start getting it ready for the new winter. I not saying that this is the best way. but I have never had a problem. I wish everyone good luck with what ever method they use.

I think its Snowing!!
1999 Polaris XCR 440

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts