Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lo all...

I had a friend tell me that when I'm not using the sleds (summer) that I should prop up the rear end of the sled (2x4 or whatever) to keep the wait off the track. He said this keeps the track from streching and possibly falling off.

Any truth to this? I didn't do this last year and all was fine.

Any feedback?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Proping up the rear and the front of the sled when it is not in use is a good way to keep the springs in a loose position. I also disconnect the rear torsion springs, the rear shock overload springs, the front suspension springs, and the adjustable shock dampening screws are turned all the way out. Keeping a load off the springs makes them last longer. Some people even remove their clutch springs for storage. I don't go that far. Yet. As far as track stretch is concerned, proping up the sled alone shouldn't keep the track from stretching. You would have to loosen the track to do that. I have read that loosening the track on newer sleds (last 5-10 years) isn't necessary because of the new materials they are made from.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yup proping up the rear end is a good idea, some guys do it, some don't. I go so far as to jack the front off the ground and block it up as well. I just figure taking the weight off the springs is a good idea, it gives me piece of mind.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
its also good to prop the back end up if you store your sled outside to keep the track from rotting...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts