Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of adding 03 MC bars and stretching it out from a 136 to 151 by using 144 rails and remounting the rear skid back 3-3/8" here are some pics of where I am.

The rear skid removed

Converted onto new 144 rails

rear cooler exposed. I need to cut and move rear cooler back 6-1/2" to match up with my tunnel ext.

I'll post more pics as I progress.
Man its great having all those summer toys out of the garage so I can work on my sled[:D]

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
yeah that does look sharp!!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Nice little project you've got there! You're gonna have one bad azz TCat when you're done. Keep the pics comin'

·
Registered
63 Posts
What kind of paint did you use on the suspension rails? Is it going to stay on with the ice and snow? If you didn't do it professionally, where can I get some spray paint that will last?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 01 MC rails came from the factory green it looks to me almost like a powder coating really scratch resistant.

I had them weld in the cooler tube extensions today should get some pics in the next couple of days as I start putting things back together.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the running boards are stock, they went to that design in 2000.
I have got the tunnel extension on and the rear bumper mounted back up, but my wife has this thing about finishing the fence I started before I finish my sled. LOL she has screwed up priorities. LOL

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slipped away to the garage last night and got the tunnel ext finished and the track swapped out.
Tunnel extension

New track

Taking the drive shaft out wasn't a problem, but I would recommend having a spare pair of hands around.

I am hoping to get the rear skid mounted back in next week then I'll be able to post a completed pic.

G

·
LOL, I changed out a Summit to a 151 and an RMK to 144. Your right! an extra pair of hands would be nice. Couldn't get the wife to help either, HUH?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah, she keeps telling me its July what the F$%( am I doing working on my sled.
They just don't understand.

G

·
Going from a 136" to a 151", your gonna love that. I rode a 144 all this winter and moved up to a 151 this spring. I was not sure about all that track length but I don't really notice much difference in handling with either track. I do like the extra floatation in the deep stuff. The only draw back with all that track is when you get it stuck and packed with snow, HEAVY. I am not a big guy and without help there is times that I cannot even lift the back end of my sled. I do have electronic reverse which helps at times but when you get it really dug in, I get two buddys to help lift!!!! I got stuck this spring in the heavy wet sticky snow and spent 20 minutes getting the dang thing out by myself. Ugg, by back still feels the pain.

I rode a 2003 900 Artic Cat this winter. Man what a sweet ride. I loved the suspension and 151 track. I bet your 1000 triple will tear up the deep stuff as good as the 900 did.

Looks like a fun project.

Dennis

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you wanna have the same weight problem in the back end go out and try a 96 Skidoo MXZ 583. It's only a 121" but it's a beast to lift. I don't know how the backend is so heavy. I even had a full grown man who does a lot of lifting in his farming work to try lifting it. His eyes got huge when he picked it up. One time I got stuck on a gentle uphill turn by getting sucked into the fresh stuff. Ended up gettin bogged right down to where if I stood on the packed trail the seat was at the sole of my boot. The only reason it got out was because I used all my energy to push it and, punchin it hoping to dig into something. We aren't really use to more than 8 inches being dumped in one day around here so it wasn't very pleasant getting off those packed trails with 121" tracks, .92" lugs, and 144 studs[:D] Sorry to get off track but I had to comment about the previous post about heavy backends. lol looking forward to seeing the finished project. Never rode a sled with more than a 121" track but I imagine it's great for boondocking.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You would think with a project this size there would be some small problems. I found one!
Putting the fuel line back on is a B*&^% 1/4" hose on a 5/16" fitting. I'll get it but what a mother.
I did get the skid in and will post a pic tomorrow

1 - 20 of 26 Posts