Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help summerizing a 2000 Arctic Cat ZL500 EFI.. How do I fog this thing and should I run it completely out of fuel or use stabil? Please someone help..

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Go down to your local Arctic Cat dealer, pick up a bottle of there fogging oil and read the directions. Put a couple ounces of oil down each spark plug hole, when the piston is at the top of it's cycle? or the bottom???can't remember off the top of my head, bottle will say though. Some people like to drain all the gas, some don't. I prefer to put stabilizer in, a hell of alot easier and less time consuming. With stabilizer just make sure you have a full tank of fuel, pour in the recomended amount. Run the sled for a minute to make sure the stabilizer gets to the throttle body and all fuel lines, shut her off and fog!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Run as much of the gas out of it as you can
then throw so stabablizer in it...

Buy a can of fog...
start the sled up and spray the fog into your air intake..
the sled will stall on its own...
spray till it stalls.

Fill the oil up as much as you can and put the lid on tight...

And raise the track...
And if you can the whole sled...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sounds good so far. Also loosen the track so it doesn't stretch, grease all the fittings to get any water out. I also spray down all the suspension with a light rust proofing oil. Its not a bad idea to change your chain case oil as well. Open up your trunk flap to let it dry or you could get mold in there... Now get out your summer toy and have fun.
Oh ya, now is a good time to start praying for snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure that you grease the drive shaft bearing well to get all the ater and crud out. The grease will harden over the summer. This is the one that the speedo is attached to. My brother has a 1999 Pantera 580 EFI and he had to replace the drive shaft and bearings.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A couple of other things that you can do is back all your springs off and touch up any painted parts so they won't rust over the summer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info but which is it.. Add stabilizer to a full tank of full or run most of it out.. I was thinking full tank to eliminate head space a prevent condensation but it would be easier for me right now just to add it to the 1/4 tank left on all the sleds..

thanks again and tell me what ya think...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Regarding the fuel: I was always taught to drain the gas out of plastic tanks before storage, and fill up metal tanks (of course using stabilizer). That's what I do...

Also, I always buy a box of mothballs, and fill up a few old socks with them. Plug your exhaust with one, and put another one near your airbox. Then I usually put one on each running board. Mice just love to make sleds their home in the summer, but they don't like the smell of mothballs.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Mike XLT is probably correct. A metal tank can rust so you always want to keep it full during storage.

Your best bet on any machine is to drain all the gas, and drain the floats on your carbs (if ya' got 'em) so the gas can't gum up and plug things up. Since a snowmobile has a plastic tank, it makes sense to drain the gas and add fresh stuff in the fall.

That being said, I've never drained the gas from my sleds. My current sled is the longest I've ever owned a snowmobile ('97 new in '98). I just add stabil and top the tank off. I pulled the carbs last year and noticed no build up. I always run a bottle of techron carb cleaner in the fall, and another bottle on my aniticpated last ride in the spring.

Basically, I'm too lazy to drain the tank. But I have not experienced any problems just adding stabil either.

my .02

·
Registered
32 Posts
I store my sleds outside and I allways pull both cluthes and store them inside, saves cleaning time in the fall.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I guess there is correct and then what people do. Personally I start running Stabil as I get to what I then will be my last tank or two of the year, then fill completely, use Stabil per recomendations, run it a while to get the "new" gas through the fuel system, fog the cylinders, plastic bag the clutches. In the fall I don't have trouble getting started, At the first opportunity I do start to get fresh fuel into the tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same sled. Where is the best place to spray the fogging oil? I've loosened the rubber boot (before the throttle body) and shot oil in that way but is there a better place/inlet to inject it ? I've heard some people talk about removing the air box. How difficult is that ?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
All I do is put stabil in run it a while, turn off the gas, run it dry, put oil in the cylinders, pull it over slow, add more oil, plug the exhaust, grease it, lift the sled, drain the carbs, then drain the gas, and put it in the quad lol. For an efi do everything there except drain the carbs, and you'll be fine, don't bother fogging it while it's running, I find it just gums it up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Do not run the fuel out of a EFI machine. It can cause the inside of the high pressure fuel line to powder and it will clog the injectors the next time you add fuel. Just fill the tank and add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer. Run the engine for about 10 min then fog it till it dies. The next season I recommend that you do not even start the sled with the old gas that is in the tank. Siphon it out and run it in your truck or car and fill the tank with fresh gas. This works the best. The old stabilized gas just isn't as good as fresh tank.Why chance it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts