Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering what the usuall steps are when putting the sleds away for summer.
The only problem is that one of my sleds won't start because of a bad stator (worry about it next season.) Any way what I am getting at is does the sled need to be runnin when summerizing it so fogging oil can get on the bearings. I have never fogged before and haven't had any problems without doing it. I am wondering if fogging is neccessary in low humidity environments.
I just need to know about the problem I have
and what needs to be done in general when summerizing?
Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
We usually fog, you can pull the engine over by hand to get it all over in there. I don't know if you would need it or not, we live in a very high humidity area. We remove the belt, put stabilizer in the gas and raise the track off the ground. There's probably more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
it's a good idea to loosen the rear suspension up to take tension off the rear....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Been riding for 34 years..Never fogged a motor. I fill the tank up to the top, drain all gass out of carbs and let it sit till next year. I may be lucky but have never had a problem with a sled..[:)]

·
Registered
749 Posts
i just start mine every two weeks. I loosen the suspension up and set the sled up on a track stand. set the skis up on a stand. Take all my accesories off, and put all of the stock clutch components back on. Because i never know if i'm gonna sell it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
round these parts we have to be carefull that mice (or snakes) don't decide to turn the airbox into their own personal high-rise condo project!! same goes for the exhaust system...i've found duct tape and steel wool to plug the muffler hole to work best..tape off the airbox inlet .
i believe it's more important to get all the gas out of the carbs than anything...it will go bad in only a couple of weeks and start to turn to varnish..this is what can cause the jets to plug and cause you lots of problems next season.
an ounce of prevention is worth a pund of cure!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Usually pull the trailer behind the house and forget about till next year. Never had a problem.
This year I am going to fog carbs, stabil the gas, and drain the carbs. I hope.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey Indyman, if you are going to start it every two weeks I would but some stabil in the gas and also some oil. The oil is because I believe that when a motor idles not much oil is pumped through the pump therefore may cause damage to the bearings etc. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I put mine on my lift stand so theirs no weight on the susp and thats about it...I might fog my xcr since it just got rebuilt..

·
Registered
324 Posts
I thought you were supposed to rebuild every year! Seems to happen to me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you serious about rebuilding each year smokeymacpot. That must get expensive

1 - 11 of 11 Posts