Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to check out a summit 670 1997 mod.are these good sleds?. how do they work in the snow and are there any things that break easily on them. i have heard they run strong is this correct?. and what kind of track do they have?. please you ski-doo sled heads reply, i have no experience with them since i have only owned cat's

·
Registered
170 Posts
im thinking about new 550 summit.. im not really mountain rider, but cheap mountain sled would be nice.
im sure that 670 would be good sled atleast for my needs. currently i have mxz renegade but its useless in powder.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure the 550 summit is a nice machine..but haven't you concidered a second hand 1-3 year old summit 700-800 instead?. the power in a 550 fan cooled engine is not so big i think. And in the powder you need all the hp you can get. just my opinion :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
hmm.. yes, if i could get one sure i would buy it. but they are quite rare here.. what i like in 550 is that its so light, good track and price[:D]. im not really a mountain rider because here we dont have that kind of mountains here, you know.. i would like to ride in eh..flatland powder so i really dont need that much hp's than in the steep mountain.
of cource you can always upgrade it[;)]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The 670 is a good motor, There have been some minor issues with the DPM vacuum lines leaking cuasing the sled to run poorly but thats not something that can't be checked and fixed if its a problem. Track angle of attack is pretty steep. They have a tendancy to trench in bottomless snow instead of climbing on top. I have a buddy that has a 670x he rolled the chaincase and did a couple of other mods and it work reasonably well.

·
Registered
352 Posts
A freind of mine (the kid i bought my ExciterII from) bought a 670 Summet and he loves it...but i havent seen it in action to much...but from what i saw it looked like a powerfull sled. but he loves it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You would be much better off if you found a 99 or 98 summit X. I don't think think the 97 has dpm, I think it's the old mechanical HAC. The HO (98 and 99) 670s run a bit harder because of higher compression, pipe, heads, and other changes.

The tracks on these sleds is nothing compared to the newer 2" tracks. If you roll the chaincase and put a 144" track on it with a setback on the 136 rails it will do very well, otherwise it's pretty OK.

Bottom end on these things is strong, the 670X runs with my 900 cat until the mid starts to kick in.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
There very good sleds, yes they have the HAC, the one I rode had it disconnected, if you get it do the same, they run better without it, but bring it to the shop to have it done.

·
Registered
567 Posts
my dad had a 98 summit x 670 complety stock ran like a raped ape. complety stock this thing ran with 700 triples it was a great machine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i ride a 98 670x with a 141" camoplast finger track, extovert drivers and teflon sliders. i love this machine. it keeps up with my buddies 02 summit 800 144" untill we get to about 100km/h, and climbs any hill that he can. it also kills my other buddies 99 rmk 136" in every aspect. and you just can't beat the handling of the ski-doo's. they are so easy to throw around. the best part about it was that i only paid $3000 canadian for it last febuary. i havn't had any problems with it, and it runs strong at any elevation. i plan on a few minor mods this year, like a silencer and handlebar risers, mabey some trailing arms.
dave m

·
Registered
87 Posts
sorry, i lied. there is one thing that i don't like about my sled, and it is something i plan on changing this year. the stock skis suck. they throw snow in my face all day when i'm in the powder. an upgrade to those powder skis that ski-doo makes is definitly in order.

·
Registered
98 Posts
... 670 summit is my dream sled, look more for a 98+ if you cna afford them, but if you stay below the 97 then try for the 700 twin :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Change of plans..the wife says we need a new car so....well actually i agree we have a piece of shit car,so we are looking for a newer one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts