Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after I totalled my 88' Indy 400 LQ I'm looking for a new sled, supersport looks pretty good on paper, I mean 550cc compared to 400cc it should be an upgrade at least. I Do some light-medium ditch riding and some riding across feilds, Also some road riding and busting drifts (how fast would it go compared to my 400??)Here in ohio we won't see anything deeper than half a foot to a foot. How would it compare to my Indy 400 though??? My indy 400 would tach 7000rpm and go 95mph on the road. Also would the super sport spin snow into piles when it takes off fast??? I'm looking for that too. THANKS

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Want piles of snow behind you...550 is OK?
Want piles of snow 20 feet behind you?..500 liquid...the new ones will pull your arms off.
I ride a '99 500 XC and my bro-in-law rides a '99 Indy Trail 488, I can take him whenever I want.
When I was looking at my XC, I also looked at the SS - 550, the dealer said that the difference between the 488 and 550 wasn't much...spend a little more and go liquid.
Very glad that i did.
Happy sled shopping.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I am going to go against what they have said and say that is one hell of a sled coming from a 400. I say go for it!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
those 400's are fast and no stock supersport will be any faster. A guy @ work has an 02 SS and it tops out around 70-75 or something like that, but it gets great gas mileage. Jump for the 96-97 xcr/xc 440 with the XCR special jugs, they are killer!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
if you want a 440 ish sled get a liquid xc or xcr.. you can find them pretty cheap.. i had a 95 supersport and it had no top end.. 73mph maybe.. xcr go well over 90mph.. how much are you lookn to spend?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i can only spend like 4 or 5 thousand, I'm really interested in the gas milage of that super sport though, we do a lot of riding like that where we need to go as far as we can without refilling

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased an 03 SS w/ the x pkg this year. My riding partner has an 99 XC 500. On the twisting trail which is mostly what we ride everything is about even. The straight aways/fields I get smoked! So far, we've run in them in temps -15 to 30 degrees & I haven't a problem. I've got about 800 miles on the new sled. Concerning gas mileage, when we fill up there isn't that big of a difference. If you do go with the SS, definitely slap some composites on it, why Polaris would make a sled in that chassis without them drives me crazy. They finally put them on the Indy 500. Just my .02. Happy shopping.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yes, the 550 should be a little faster, but a 500 liquid will be alot faster.
Geeze...I'm the guy saying "enough with the power sleds, and here's me talking you up in horsepower.
Do you know ne1 with a 550 or 500 liquid that you can take a ride on?
That's the best way, get on one and take it for a spin, and see if it's got the jam you want.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Wait, that 400 was not liquid was it??
If so...go 440 XCR to get something close to that.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Holy crap...it is liquid....then absolutely do not get a fan cooled machine.
That 400 LC of yours would probably take a new 550 fan, even in it's current state.
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/400.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok this is it, my dealer has a brand new 2002 (still in shipping crate) Trail RMK, I like how it has good long cleets and a loger track. He says he will sell me it for $4100. I really don't feel like getting a liquid again because I don't think I'll be going fast anymore because of the poles anymore. As long as it will spin its track when i take off on powder and go 70MPH thats all i want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the trail rmk looks great. i have a friend who has a supersport and it is very tough. he beat the thing to death and it still goes and he has over 12000 miles on it. he only changed the head and base gasket on it. when compared to a 400 liquid he would take me on take off but i would pass him easily after. he would get around 75-80 mph with it, and that is good. a very tough machine...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
well if you want to spend 4G then get the edge chassis...something like an xc500 would probably suit you great

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
BUY USED.....you can pick up 1 or 2 year old machines with hardly any miles on them and save thoudsands...I never buy new....always (gently) used.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
there are soo many carry over sleds out there.. just gota call around. but 4100 is that before tax and liscense?? are you going to pay for it outright or get a loan? you gota figure all that in too

266 tax 6.5% (MN)
60 liscense (MN)
50 misc fees (crate destruction)
448 interest on loan @ 10%
----

102$ a month for 4 yrs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts