Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2003 Supersport 550 Fan Cooled. I was wondering if anyone knew the horsepower of the machine and also wondering about how fast the machine will go. I rode a friends z440 sno pro last year and that did aroun 80 on speedo. J/W what the 550 will do if anyone knows.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wife rides an 03 SS and I guess I had it topped out at about 84-85 mph once. We put about 1500 miles on it last year and overall it has been a really good machine. I really want to put some plastic skis on for her but I may just end up with some skins this year. I will also be picking it very soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 03 Super Sport with the X package. great sled they are 65 hp, and go aprox 85 mph by speedo. Get rid of the steel skis and put on plastic as the handle and ride much better.
/polarisman/../images/users/napadave/smallsled.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Iv heard they have a strong low end & mid range..I think its a little more the 65HP...?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very good low and mid range. The 03 is 65 hp. The 04's are supposed to be a couple more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good. I have the EDGE body but not the package. I have been looking for the yellow plastic skis. Where did you buy them and how much? I just put a chrome yellow windshield on mine along with the headlight cover start handle backers and screen kit all yellow.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by napadave
[br]I have a 03 Super Sport with the X package. great sled they are 65 hp, and go aprox 85 mph by speedo. Get rid of the steel skis and put on plastic as the handle and ride much better.
/polarisman/../images/users/napadave/smallsled.jpg

Hey napadave...where did you get those shock covers? They look sharp...I'm assuming I could get them in red?

Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ski's and shock covers are from Polaris. Check your dealer ot their website.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by bigwilly
[br]Color accessories from www.purepolaris.com or your local dealer should have them.
Thanks for the reply...I have searched that site and google and have found nothing...I looked under the whole colored accessories section and they are not there...no biggie....I will check with my dealer.

Ray

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there any way to put a can on the SS? The exhaust is all one piece so thats why i didnt think i could but someone mentioned you might be able to put another pipe and can from like a 500 XC?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 supersport the sled is flawless, i have had it clocked at 87mph

GREAT SLED FOR A GREAT PRICE!

any suggestions for upgrades

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you done any mods to your SS.

I have a 2004 SS 550 also and the fastest I can get is 80 on the speedo and when clocked with my GPS it registers 74 mph.

Polaris says 74 is the max for a stock 2004 ss.

I love the low and midrange torque but the top end is dissapointing.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
yea the hp for a SS is anywhere from 60-65 hp depending on the year. A few of my friends have them and the max they ahve gotten on GPS is about 72.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Thanks for the reply...I have searched that site and google and have found nothing...I looked under the whole colored accessories section and they are not there...no biggie....I will check with my dealer.

Ray
look a little harder - colored accesories - page 3 - bottom left

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have an 05 classic 550, and was wondering if all mods (not like there are many) are interchangeable with the SS? I only got to take it out on the pond once and my impression is everything is great up to 60mph, but once you hit that its like the sled dies on you.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
FOr some reason my sled wont break 70 this year. last season it would do 76. Its an 03 SS

·
Registered
59 Posts
since i am new to not having actual reeds but a reed valve, i just found out today how to adjust it. i will let you all know what happens. I got the info from a guy who has the same sled as me, he said to but a silencer on it and play with the reed valve and i will see a good difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts