Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been awhile since I posted for help [:D]

A couple years ago I redid everything on the rear suspension on my 92 Jag Deluxe 440. After assembly and testing I noticed there was a problem in the rear. When compressed the metal part pushes back and touches the idler wheel. See picture below. I put a circle around where it is hitting. I am thinking maybe a limiter strap problem? I don't know, I am hoping that maybe one of you can see something in these pictures that I don't see. I took pictures of all 3 sleds I have sitting here.
Picture one
The jag in question
[attachment=49827]
Below- my 96 ZRT
[attachment=49828]
Below- my 97 ZRT
[attachment=49829]

Any guess are welcomed

Attachments

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
It looks like you have another mounting hole available in front of the mounting hole currently being used. But that is obviously not your whole problem. I do not think that rear limiter strap is your whole problem either. Can the top of the torque arm be mounted to the top cross-shaft differently?

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ On the jag there is only one lower mounting hole on the rail. The upper mounting hole that its mounted in (2 choices) is the mounting hole that it came out of.

for some reason the damn thing pivots and it shouldn't. I have it tight too.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Matt, my video card(or something) is taking a dump, so I'm haveing a hard time with the pics.
Is your track loose? or adjusted properly? Are the adjuster bolts in or out about the same as they were before you fixed it?
that would change the location of the wheels.
Any marks on it to indicate it may have been doing this unnoticed before?
I usually use Alpha-Sports diagrams, but couldn't get on there
this morning. Here is a BrownsLeisureWorld diagram.
Does all your "stuff" look like their "stuff"?
[attachment=49962]
Is there a chance, or is it even possible, to have the mount
in the center, that both shocks hook to, upside down or out
of location. Right diameter upper idler wheels? they look new.

Idler wheels are over-rated!
Remove the ones that are causing interference[:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
The big difference I can see between the 3 is the amount of the adjuster bolts showing for track tension. The two bottom ones are further in.

It looks like you can see the corrosion on the bolt from where it was orginally.

Maybe to the track is bound some where, not allowing you to adjust it properly?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You said you rebuilt or went through this 2 years ago..? By looking at the picture and the way it is moving, it looks to me like you have someting bound up in the linkage, someplace that isn't rotating like it is suppose to. Look at the upper idler wheel, I can see flat spots on the bottom edge which tells me, the bearing is locked / seized up, or was at one time. if any of the pivot points in that linkage (including the wheel bearings) seize up, it will cause the force and action to go somewhere else. I would check all the moving parts and pivot points on that rear swing arm....

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well here we are again.. but now in 2007.

I have tried what everyone said with no luck.

I have posted this on other forums as well. A member here gave me a picture from of a simular sled but it didn't show anything..

I just looked into my pictures more. I have a before picture.

If anyone has had this problem please post what the cause was!

[attachment=60285]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Move to the forward mounting hole? I see a hole in front of the top wheel. What if you bolt into that?

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ Thats not the one it came out of. I know I put it in the right hole because I could see the marks from the nut.

Does everyone else that has a jag or this suspension have their sled in that hole??

If I can't figure this out I am going to put it in that hole and see what the hell happens. After this freakin snow storm stops.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think this guy nailed it!

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54694&st=0&gopid=458474#entry458474

My shock is installed wrong!

I think that he thinks this part is installed wrong
[attachment=60408]
^its inside where I circled, you can't see it.

[attachment=60409]
I think he is talking about Circle 1. I labed the two places he could be talking about. But, I think that part in Circle one doesn't rotate. I am going to plot these out on my big plotter here at work and tear into it tonight. I am gonna figga dis son a bich out! [xx(]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ Get out of here! I never understood WTF you were trying to say!

Well.. we will see tonight if that is the cause or not. I will take a picture of it before I dig it out of the snow and get it on the trailer. Its BURIED!

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything was installed correcty! If I flip that top arm around like was mentioned, the springs arn't long enough to reach the front. When I look at my picture I took of this thing before I rebuilt it, its exactly how I put it together now.

The bottom mount for the rear shock can't be rotated either. Everything is put together like it should be and it still freakin pivots.

So, me and my buddy got pissed. We installed a made at home limiter strap going from that rear pivoting arm to one of the idler wheel axles in the front, now it can't pivot! I don't care, I just want someone to be able to ride the thing.

I was up till 3.30 a.m. 45 mins from home working on this and my zrt. And was at work by 8.30 a.m.

I am talking a 1/2 day today go go finish the sleds up. Installing the jag suspension is proving to be difficult.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fixed. Me and my buddy took this freaking thing apart 3 times and installed it 3 times. Every damn time it pivoted. I put it together exactly like my "before" picture and like cats assembly picture.

So, I had to add my own quick design to it in order to have the damn thing working this season for my girl to ride.

Don't laugh to hard..

[attachment=60593]

Before anyone picks on me (I know its coming).. just remember, IT WORKS haha. Its a nylon tow strap cut to length with a bolt ran through it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I have a hard time believing there isn't something else wrong, since the machine obviously didn't have that problem when it was new. But, anyway, I do not think the strap you have is a totally bad idea. Basically you are giving the scissor a rear "stop." This should effectively give you some coupling effect. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ I agree. But I don't know what it is. I took it out and reassembled it 3 times.. even had my buddy do it too. We both had the same result. Maybe the new shock is too stiff for the design. I dunno. But what I do know is that its ready to ride.

I found a guy in minn. that has a suspension for a 93 jag Z in good shape for sale for $55. I looked it up and they are different suspensions, I wonder if I could make it fit and just use my skid for parts. Pisses me off because I got 2 new shocks and lots of new parts on this jag suspension. 350$ worth.

I had to do what I had to do to get it on the trail for this season. Maintaining two older sleds is a pain in the butt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts