Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 750 indy storm. Shocks are bad but it rides like crap with the 8 anyhow. I was looking to put an xtra ten in it. In an older post someone told me to go with an edge skid. (I believe the m10 is the edge skid right?) I heard that the m10 will make you lose power. I have also talked to a local shop that told me a fusion skid is a better design and will fit under the wedge chassis. I want to use what is best all around without changing the geometry of the machine a lot or make it stupid tall. I am looking to redo it over the summer so price wise isn't so much of an issue(within reason, over a grand I might as well find an edge). Just wondering what the options are on this. I assume/plan I will change the front suspension too. I just want it to look and ride nice. Thanks ahead for the response.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If i could find the red/black edge rolling chassis I would just consider an engine swap if it would work. Thats also an idea I have been kicking around.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
xtra-10 or edge is your best bet.
if you need a xtra-10 send me a pm. i have 2 for sale

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
edge would make it stupid tall. you would have to upgrade the front suspesion as well. m10 is not the same as edge.
go for xtra10, the difference is impressive enough.

·
Registered
222 Posts
even if you go for an xtra 10 its reallly not that great. i tihnk you will find yourslef wanting and edge or M-10 which is made by fast a year or so after. If i were you id find and edge chassis and drop your storm engine in there if its possible.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I put an xtra ten in my xcr and it really did make a difference, now I just need to upgrade the front suspension and get all the shocks rebuilt...

also it depends on what you want to do with it, i wanna put a 144 edge skid in another wedge im building thats gonna have an xcr 800 triple triple in it

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Here's a pic with the M10 and small 7 inch IFS front end. It actually is balanced pretty good. Rode it that way for a year until the motor toasted. I would suspect the Edge would look similar.
With the M10, it was only 2 inches taller than the X10 I had in there before. I measured.

2008122215929109_5375.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Look in my gallery before I added 14" shocks and longer spindles, this is with a edge, and man what a difference in ride from the old 7" one...

·
Registered
127 Posts
took the extra 10 outta my ultra put in a edge one of the best things ive done, night and day almost as nice as going from steel skis to c&a, install is almost the same amount of work no matter what skid you change to, measure measure measure, when you think you got it right, get someone else to measure it lol then drill, the edge skid is gettin cheap enough seen a couple on craigslist goin for 300 with fox shocks

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
vogey said:
took the extra 10 outta my ultra put in a edge one of the best things ive done, night and day almost as nice as going from steel skis to c&a, install is almost the same amount of work no matter what skid you change to, measure measure measure, when you think you got it right, get someone else to measure it lol then drill, the edge skid is gettin cheap enough seen a couple on craigslist goin for 300 with fox shocks
i wouldn't exactly call $300 cheap, especially when you can get xtra10 fox for $150 no problem.
And he is putting it into the 8-inch tunnel, xtra10 will be by far the easiest swap- the front mounting holes remain the same. edge, M10, or xtra12 (not suggested to swap into the old chassis') need careful measurements of the distance from mounting holes to the driveshaft.

·
Registered
127 Posts
lol i did say "almost" i never liked the xtra 10 in my ultra, infact i thought the old 8'' susp in my bro's 91 had a better ride, even sat higher in back (really steamed me at the time lol)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
the M-10 doesnt really make you loose power, from all i have gotten is you loose a mph or two at the very top,, ive still done 101 (radar, 114 spedo) plenty plenty fast, i love the ride an it handels awesome,, we ride hard and it never has given me problems,,

·
Registered
463 Posts
im runnin a edge PRO-X skid in my wedge and love it! just a beefier version of the edge skid with better shocks (ryde fx clickers), usually costs about the same as an edge skid! mines from an 03 pro-x 800!

·
Registered
915 Posts
The M-10 is not an edge skid the Edge skid goes on the edge ,although some edges came with an m-10. I would save my money for a different sled you could updrade to even a late 90's XC for under a grand

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I will try to find a newer chassis and go that route. Then I don't have to worry about anything but making the triple fit. Like I said one of those newer black and red edge chassis would be sick with a triple in it. Just have to do my homework first to make sure it would fit. The pipes fitting are my main concern. I know that the newer sleds change motor direction but does an edge w/reverse have a reverse gearbox so I could still keep it(reverse)or do they change motor direction?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
some have the mechanical reverse (chaincase reverse), usually '01-'03. Others have PERC (motor runs in opposite direction)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts