Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my buddy got this little 1989 Skidoo Safari and it needed a new shock and sliders and stuff so they took out the suspension and they put the new shock and slides on it and now he needs to know if there are any tricks on installing the suspension back into it.. because he's tried several times and it just doesn't want to line up with the holes.. even when they try sitting or jumpin on it.. Just need some tips for the old Safari suspension.Really need some help before the snow flies so any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I've used tie downs to compress the skid a little bit. That seems to help line them up. It's still a pain, but with some patience you will get it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
rachet straps and a extra set of hands

If i remember installing the suspension on the old F MX, the rear needs to be compressed only about an inch to fit back in

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uhm. where abouts do you put the tie down straps or ratchet straps on the skid around the suspension, or around the suspensoin and tunnel to help force it in??

·
Registered
713 Posts
I usually put the strap in between the front shock arm and the rear shock arm to get them to move more closley together like a suspension will normally do. Make sure to put the front mounting bolts in first, it is easier to get the rear ones on for some reason.

Using the tie downs on the tunnel is a bad idea because you can either rip the aluminum or damage something important down there.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I do not know what the suspension looks like on a Safari, but if there are torsion springs that you can unload, do that, too. The ratchet strap idea is good, too.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Put the ratchet strap around the two shafts that each end of the shock are mounted to. Then ratchet away.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ya those safari's are buggers to get in. The guys in some posts are thinking of ett type suspensions I think. To get the front in we got a big guy to put weight on it while the other guy forced and pryed it into position. On the back we had a big guy stand on the rear hand rail and push against the ceiling while the other again pryed and forced it into position. I've put in a lot of skids in sleds but have never had one as difficult as this.

Find a real big heavy guy to help and good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
[attachment=49829]

See that spring on that triangle block? The other end of that spring goes thru a black block (on my sled). I take that part off (basically just take tension off the suspension, or at least some). Ratchet straps can also be used if you have the time. I also like to have the rear hanging from the ceiling, and use a 2x4 to lift the compressed suspension into the holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thats a tsl skid. It's nothing like a safari. A safari has 4 small springs about 2 inches long that push against foot boards giving it about 1 inch of suspension travel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts