Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my dad's SKS and probably any other mountain sled the rear skid can be raised up by simply moving the mounting bolts to allow for better deep snow flotation. I know this can also be done on some Arctic Cats. I'm going to be going to school in the Black Hills this fall and plan on bringing my sled with me. I'll probably have a deeper lug track by then also. This was a big problem for me when I went with my family out there this winter. My sled can walk of my cousin's ZR 500, but because he has more clearance, he could go through more. Sorry for rambling, and here's my question- I plan on adding a mount similar to the one on my dad's SKS to raise mine up. Does anyone see any problems that may result from this? Thanks.

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
well I don't know if you sled has holes for it so you may have to drill them. And if you do you could weaken the metal. Like if you drill a hole below your stock one you would probably want to put a bolt or something in the old one to strengthen it. Faked me out man though I was gonna get to talk Racnho, Superlift, Trailmaster, etc. truck lifts :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, that's exactly why i named it what i did sled dog. i can't lower it on the tunnel at all, i have to add brackets. the sks has brakets which are riveted to the tunnel, and i might try to get those through polaris.

'99 XC SP 500
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can handle that part of it. I was just curious to see if anyone had attempted it on an XC or other trail sled.

'99 XC SP 500
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I can make you a body lift for your sled :) you know block your seat up and hood. May let a bit of snow under the hood but that just adds cooling :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you say "to raise mine up" you mean to move the susp. down. Right? When we long tracked my buddy's 98 xc 600 (now 700) we had to drop the rear susp. down to get clearance for the 2" lugs, and to get the tunnel out of the snow. When we did this it made the thing trench like crazy, so we dropped the front arm down too. It works great now!! The only problem we had was with the coupling blocks. When we moved the mounting points of the susp. arms we didn't keep the same center to center distance as the stock holes, this caused the suspension to bind and now work properly (wouldn't even move 3" befor locking up). We removed the coupling blocks and the suspension works fine now. Except for the fact that it transfers too much weight (skis always in the air) and is very hard to trail ride. If you keep your mounting holes the same center to center distance as the stock you should be fine. By the way we made our own drop brackets for the rear and welded them to the stock ones so we can switch back and fourth between long and short track. In the front we drilled a hole in the tunnel down by the running board.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i got that a little mixed up. the suspension moves down and the tunnel up. thanks for the great info arcticcat6!

'99 XC SP 500
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I ran into the same trouble of lowering the rear and the skid locks solid so i lowered the front and it worked better. watch the track angle as it comes off the drive wheels onto the front of the rails. you dont want it to be hitting the very front. the angle also effects performance. ie; the 95xlt vs the special. the eight inch was a faster sled on the lake because the track angel was less and then it took a little less power to turn. find a dealer close to were you will be living make friends find out about gearing, clutching, jetting, and other little points.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info madcow. i don't understand how the skid ratchets though. all i'm doing is raising the tunnel to gain a little more clearance, like my dad on his sks and my cousin on his zr. someone's gonna have to explain to me how the track angle and geometry is changed, i'm just not grasping that.

'99 XC SP 500
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
ok, here we go. look at the sled and how the skid is sitting and how the track meets the rails. measure the distance from front to back on the mounting holes for the skid. if you lower the rear, the mount has to come forward just slightly to keep this distance the same. on the sks the engineers did the measuring for you. now you lowered the rear mount now your skid angles to the back. so all the wieght is on the rear axle and the skis. if you are lucky you can back off your limiter straps enough to bring the suspension level again. on my xtra10 the front shock wasnt long enough to level the suspension. so now i had to lower the front of the skid as well. if you are using the same rails you might have less trouble. i welded and redrilled rmk rail to fit my skid. now you lowered the front of the skid so your suspension works and can be adjusted just like before now look to see how the track and rails meet if the track meets the rail by the first wheel thats just fine but if it is meeting up on the tip by the black plastic guide then you might need to do some fine tunning on the mounting or pull the limiter straps in a little. your rear skid is a geometry nightmare. if you just moved the rear mount forward or back it totaly changes the hole thing. for me it locked it up solid. so i moved the rear bolt .5 inch forward and it worked fine. thats how fussy this is.
I bolted an angel plate to the foot boards that hung about two inches down and bolted to that. the sled looked mean but i have a lot of finishing to do so i put the stock short track back on. try again this fall
hope that helps some!!!

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts