Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
i have a 97 polaris indy xlt extra 12 that im having problems with suspension rebounding back up. i have read some past forums and took some advice from them. i had both of my fox shocks rebuilt and today replaced torsion springs with .437 (hd) ones. still not rebound up all the way, greased all fittings also. any suggestions on where to look at next? could something be possible hanging up? thanks for any info i can get
thanks paul

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem with my 97 ultra touring xtra 12.
My suspension wont go up at all though unless i pull it up.
Someone told me that the compression springs on the shocks is
what holds the back end up and not the shocks. He did also tell me too make sure nothing is binding up, not sure how to tell if something is binding though.
I'll be looking back to see if anyone replies.

Good luck, as I need it too.[:)]

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm guessing to say both front and rear.
When I was pushing up and down on mine they both were moving.
See if yours has adjustment screws right on the shock, mine has one
on the front shock. If it does tighten it up.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Increasing the preload on the coil springs would help. On the front one, you can just grab it and twist it, as the lower retainer is threaded on the shock. The rear one has to be taken out and the retainer clip has to be moved.

Keep in mind, though, that the way the XTRA-12 is mounted in the machine, it will probably not extend all the way by itself. If it did, only the front part of the track would be touching the ground. The rear of the track would be off the ground.

What problems are you having that you are trying to correct by making the suspension extend all the way?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the reply JD
yes whats happening is that after sitting on sled or riding, after getting off the sled does not lift back up like it used to, it used to rebound pretty high, now it lacks about 3-4 inches from where it used to sit when we bought it. my front shock spring is about 3/4s the way up, i will turn it up more and see what happens
thanks for the help and suggestions
paul

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Maybe your springs are just plain worn out. Also, when is the last time the suspension was taken apart, cleaned, greased, and reassembled?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
And, welcome to the forum hockeytown_north and matcin2531. I first posted here with questions about my XTRA-12, too.

·
Registered
464 Posts
They are supposed to have some sag in them. The sled should sit just about half way through it's travel with the rider on the sled. It would ride terrible if the static position was at full top. Every time you hit a low spot the whole sled including the rider would drop instead of just the suspension.

·
Registered
700 Posts
My dads 12 did the same thing. you could pick it up to full extension, sit on it causing a 6" drop or so and only gain 1" rebound after gettig off. the sled rode low and rough. We replaced the torsion springs which didnt help. Finally in frustration he changed the front spring and torsions as well as both shocks and it brought it back to life. Almost every Xtra 12 i'v seen has had the same problem with sagging after a few years of abuse.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Since last post I have taken the skid out, not so easy with regular ratchet, socket set. Looked over the thing and discovered that the
torsion spring slides have worn through the bushings all the way to
were it started wearing the bolt. Just ordered new ones. Greased all
the zerts and adjusted the front spring about half way up. Stood on
the skid and it doesn't move much unless I bounce a little. When the skid was in, the spring was almost to top. Maybe something was binding it up. I'm 200 lbs., don't know how much weight it holds when its mounted in tunnel any guesses. Do you think I should put it back in to see if it is good or just go ahead and buy another front spring first?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Standing on the skid will not really tell you anything. The geometry is different, and you are not putting any force on the front torque arm. Check which front spring you have. You may want to buy a stiffer spring. That front shock and spring seems to be the most critical part of the XTRA-12 suspension.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks again JD,
I will take the spring off and see if i can get a little stiffer one. Or the same stiffness maybe half inch to inch longer one?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Only putting stiffer than stock torsion springs in our skid didnt fix the problem. I think replacing the front shock and spring was the trick. We also replaced the rear shock for grins.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I can tell you what is available for springs for the '97 XTRA-12. Let me go through my service manual, and I will post back with the info.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Okay. I loaded the service manual info onto my personal webpage on this site. Click on my user name to go into my profile. Then click on "Sled Showcase." There is info there for '96 and '97. The available springs are shown there. Make sure you are looking at the '97 info, if that is what you need. If you need a hand deciphering the info, let me know. I sat and studied this stuff for my own sled for a couple hours last night.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JD
thanks for helping us out, i see that im not the only one with this problem. too funny that this was your first post on the site is what were going through, keep the info comming to all of you, we are all getting some good ideas and hope its helping us out, im still with the problem im still working with some of these ideas, but my checking account is only let me do so much, still waiting for snow here in northern michigan, so im trying to get this problem fixed so when the snow hits i can hit the trails
thanks again JD and eveyone else
have a safe and fun season
paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JD
i check out your site and went through the sheets and took some info for my sled, thanks for putting that info out there,
to all stop by his site and check out these sheets there is some great info on them for our suspensions
thanks much
paul
ps; nice sleds im trying to get my picks on my site so you can see what im talking about, even though you all have good idea

1 - 20 of 41 Posts