Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!!! [:(]I have a 1978 Polaris Cobra 340. With nobody sitting on the machine, it sits pretty low to the ground. I weigh 200lbs and when i sit on it the track almost touches the top of the tunnel. On bumps it will rub some times. I would like to know if there is anyway of lifting the suspension, so that i can ride comfortably by myself and a passenger. Thank guys.[:D]

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Sounds like the springs are shot in the skid. Replace Shocks and Springs and you should be fine. you will most likely want to get a heavier set of springs if you plan on riding with two people mostly.

Also grease the skid if you havent.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
My dad has a '76 Electra 440, same prob, really rips, but handles like a canoe on gravel.

You could try mounting the skid lower in the tunnel. Just drill new holes lower down, but measure carefully.

Good luck, and welcome to TUSF.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Definatly new shocks, springs, and grease as Darkstar already said, but sleds in the 70's were not known for their suspensions. Just dont get your hopes up too high.

TOU

·
Registered
608 Posts
I had a 78 TXL, sweet sled back then. It looked loke it sat low but that was due to the fact that the tunnel was longer and it only had 3 inches of travel. There should be holes lower then the tunnel for deep snow. They will give you more clearence. As far as ride the seat has more cusion then that suspension.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for your help.[:D][:D] i do realize that i can't ask for much because it is such an old sled. But she's my ride. My other sled is an old SnowJet with a wide track on boggies. Sweet hey.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the Same Problem with my 1990 Wildcat 650, (spare sled for guests). it rode like a harley with solid struts. so I Yanked that crappy 4" tranvel suspension out and put this ETT suspension out of a 98 ZL. bolted right in N/P, just cant wait toll we get some snow here to try it out. It is now a trail CAT>? [:D] I also installed reverse, out of a 94 cougar, and put on a set of Black Magic wide A Armes. to stabilize the ride, here is a pic

/snofan/../images/users/skybolt58/Wildcat3.jpg

and the front view

/snofan/../images/users/skybolt58/Wildcat6.jpg

It's gotta be better. and the good part about it. this all was EBAY parts. all cost under 500.00 total including shipping..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts