Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 indy sport 440 and IMO the suspension sits too low, in the very back the running board is just at the top of the wheel i have it stiffened almost as tight as it will go to prevent bottoming out, does anyone know how i could make it sit higher without buying a new suspension? also in the back there is what i think is called a scissor arm that connects to the slide rail, there are three holes there and it is bolted into the one nearest to the front of the sled, what effect would it have if i moved this to the back hole?
thnx,chris
/snofan/../images/users/95INDYSPORT-NY/top2.gif

·
Registered
115 Posts
Im not to familar with sled suspesion but if it has a shock like on a dirtbike you should be abel to take a spanner wrench and tighten down in the discs this will raise the rear end.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Well the main thing is that you only have 6.5" of travel on that suspension. Other than upgrading to a better suspension, theres basically no answer. Some Polaris' have extra holes in the tunnel that you can move the suspension down for deep snow ,not sure on that model though. Otherwise you can get stiffer springs to put on and/or new shocks. Moving holes on the scissor will only change the weight transfer of the sled.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I believe that sld has the very begining of the xtra-10 suspension...the xc-100 or something like that. Anyways I had the same problem with my 91 indy 500, with the really crappy suspension. I moved the rear mounting position to the hole that is located below the tunnel. The rear now sits higher, creating enough room for the studs, but the front is now pointed lower. But IMHO it's worth while to get a newer sled..that's what I'm doing. It's just too expensive to modify that old stuff.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I looked it up here. http://www.geocities.com/polaris-man/home.htm

Its doesn't have the xc-100. Seems it has one of the older late 80's suspensions. According to the specs the '91 has a better suspension at 7.75". I do know Polaris recommends the mounting of the front to back suspension holes are not to be more than 1 hole apart,citing loss of control as a possibility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts