Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im replacing the two coil suspension springs in my 87 trail and I was wondering if you know of any tricks to make bolting up the suspension easier. The two back bolts is all im planning on taking out and I know that lining them back up is tough when the spings are under pressure. Ill probably be doing this solo so any ideas to making this easier would be great. I heard something about using a come along attached to one ski and somewhere under the suspension and as its tightened it sages the springs. Anyone know more on this?
Thanx,TXC

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
there is a simple pry tool you can make with a peice of chain bolted or welded to a 12 or 14 inch piece of pipe. weld it on about 3 inches from the top. add a hook to the other end. Make the chain just long enough so you can hook the hook over the back suspension mount and the pipe goes under the front suspension mount. If you have the right lenght you simply pry the pipe forwards which pulls the bolt holes in line. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I usually leave the springs loose too. Makes putting it togther easy

Rich

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kinda figured that leaving the springs loose would work also. Thanks guys for the input!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
yup release the spring tension. I suspend the back end up a coupla feet then use a jack to lift the skid into place.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The older sleds still need a little pry sometimes. You will see, please let us know if the spring thing worked by itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts