Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the redline of the AC440 engine?

I also need a rev limiter that will work with this engine, any suggestions?

Mike

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
440 Liquid I assume,
It will depend on the pipe. Stock should yeild somewhere in the high 7's
As for a rev limiter your clutching should take care of that. You want your clutching to keep the motor at peak HP as much as possible. If it over revs there are a number of things you can do to pull it down. Change the springs, or driven clutch weights or Helix. Try buying a clutch kit if you are not comfortable playing with the individual pieces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This engine is air cooled, out of around a 78 or 79 Artic cat. Sorry dont know snowmobiles at all, this engine is being used as a weapon motor in a Battlebot, and will have little load at max rpm,
and I would like to insure that it does not over rev.

Mike http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ruttjumper1

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I wouldn't recommend running it over 7000 rpm with little or no load. Is the weapon a short burst type of something that will be running all the time. You might be able to do something with the carbs to limit fuel and air so that it doesn't burn up. Thats a different application than I've ever seen a 400 F/C used for but looks cool. Keep us posted on how it goes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for all the help.

One last question. Can the lighting coil be removed from this engine, and if so any idea how much it weighs?
I really need to find about 3 lbs and would like to cut something unnessasary first.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts