Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '97 Polaris SPX Ultra two weeks ago and part of getting a really good deal on it was the fact that it needed some work, almost all of which I have done. When I was looking it over, I noticed that the sway bar bushing was missing and the sway bar wasnt even in the trailing arm on the right side of the sled (I would say passengers side...if it were a car). This was a cheap fix, just the cost of a bushing which was cheap enough. The sway bar stayed in fine for a week, then I hit a tree (at maybe 10 mph, just bent the bumper and on of the hood mounts). Well, after getting it out of our garadge and taking it for a test ride (runs much better with the new clutch) I quickly noticed that the sway bar doesnt want to stay in the bushing anymore. I have already lost one bushing (luckly we bought a spare). Now even the slightest bump or what not can pop the sway bar out of the bushing. My dad said he went to a dealership and saw the bushing missing on another Ultra SPX that was in the showroom. It would seem this is a somewhat common problem.

My question is this: have any of you had similar problems with your sway bar (dont care if you have a different sled or not, but '97 Polaris's would prolly be setup the most similar)? if so, what did you do to fix it and/or what was the problem? my dad says he thinks it might have gotten bent before we bought it, causing it not to go as deep into the bushing so that sometimes it pulls out all together. the sway bar is almost the least accessable thing in the engine compartment, so I am wondering if there is some sort of adjuster in there. If it all boils down to it, I can just weld a chunk of metal onto the end of it to make the sway bar longer, but I want to consider my options first. what do you think?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
no adjustment for the sway bar, if you remove both the bushings, you can weasel it out, as far as the bushing poping off, did you rivit it back onto the bulkhead?? i used self tapping metal screws to put mine on, they have rubber backed metal washers that keep it from lossening up, maybe this will help you out from loosing another bushing

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I broke both bushings on my dad's 98 XC600 jumping it 5' and having flat landings multiple times. Was about 100$ at a dealer to fix...

-Dean

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, what a nice rip off. I dont remember how much the bushings are, but they are cheap ($5 each at the most I think) and its a matter of 2 bolts at most to take out to replace them.

We did find something intersting though, after trying to straighten it out (to make it longer, spring steel doesnt like to be permenantly bent) we decided we hat to put it back together (only gained 1/8 of an inch I think). Well, my dad was looking under the front to just randomly check it out, and he noticed that the suspension arms that can be adjusted for camber (I think its camber...) were screwed out like 1/2 of an inch or more. The key is that they were BOTH screwed out so it really didnt affect the handling except for making one ski be about 1/2 further out to the side of the sled. We tightened them back up (one of them was rusted so bad that we had to heat it up with a torch to loosten it, not something one would expect from a 6 year old sled) and I havent had a problem since. We also put some hose clamps on the sway bar to limit its left and right play. I dont think they were neccissairy, but just so long as they dont look to be doing any damage, it doesnt hurt to be on the safe side.

I had a nice funky landing off my dirtbike jump too where I landed on one ski before anything else and that didnt pop it out, so I think its good to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
God, just take/disconnect your swaybars. I can't see how anyone can stand them, if you hit something uneven your sled ends up on its side or rolled over (at least in my case). I took mine off and I've only rolled once since then, compared 2-3 swaybar related incidents per riding session.

·
Registered
85 Posts
hey jed. what sled did you do this to? i have a 96 xlt and was thinking of doing just that for the same reasons. wasn't sure what would happen. will it be more like an independent?
thanks, dave

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
yall must b sliding, tryin to do power turns or taking turns at 100mph cuz im a very agressive rider and have never had that happin to me

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My buds sway bar popped out of the trailing arm last weekend after about a five foot jump. The landings were kinka harsh cause there was only about 4-6 inches of snow over the ice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, mine popped out if I hit a snowbank at like 5mph, that sucked because that type of situation happened all the time. I LIKE the sway bar, its great. I have hit a bump with one ski and not the other and it just soaked it up and I felt it a lot less than I was expecting too, I hit it pretty fast too. I saw it comming and thought "darn, this might be really bad" and it just glided over it. I think something must be wrong if your rolling because of a sway bar, cause that is what they are supposed to prevent...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
no it would have less tendincy to have ski lift. it would leave it planted to the ground. my bro took his off his indy 500 sp

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Well last year when Pman had his out of his XCR 440 he said that it cornered way worse than when it was in, but when he was jumping it was a lot nicer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
mine's hangin' in the garage if u want 1!everybody i ride with has yanked thiers.what type of ridin' do u do?ever tried 2 sidehill with 1 or hill climb?my machine reacts alot better in the deep powder w/o the sway bar and it is still very stable on the groomed trail,ur ridin' style or area might b different but keep an open mind and try it both ways.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took it off my viper. Yeah, it makes your suspension independant. I found that my sled is much smoother down the trail as well, and its easier to lift a ski to sidehill stuff. I need to cut it out, its unnessecary weight (god knows that cinder block doesn't any more of that), and I'm always worried its gonna catch on something.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, to each their own. I guess all I have to say is that I like it, but I have only had my sled for 2 weeks, 3 days [:)]. From what I know of physics (which isnt a lot) I can see that it would help cornering on hard surfaces, keeps it more flat. Soft surfaces are different, and side hills, where you want it to be more independant. also if you jump your sled all the time you might not want it. I think that in my area, its better to have it than not to have it. All the hills around here can be attacked head on if the rider so chooses, no need for cross hill riding. But hey, its all a matter of preference, I know in car racing they want sway bars, helps with the cornering a lot by makign the outside shocks resist compression.

Anyways, if I start finding that I dont like how the front end on my sled handles, then maybe I will take it out, maybe it will make a better difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts