Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading on a different forum about sway bars, and bout how some arctic cats dont have them. and some ppl take them off and it performs better, id ont think this has ever been brought up here, what do u guys think? i will ahve to look on my sled to see if i ahve one and ride it w/ and w/o it on.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I always had that same question in my head when i looked at some various sno-cross sleds. I finally asked a racer why they did that.....

I think it's a personal choice actually. Trail sleds usually have them so they stay flatter in corners. Now, sno-cross racers need to stay flat in the corners too, but if they set up thier shocks/springs correctly, then some opt to go without it. They usually have very stiff springs and strong valving, so they may prefer no sway bar.

I say this because when a racer is skipping along the tippy tops of many many NASTY moguls and jumps, having a sway bar may actually hinder thier performance if they hit the top of an uneven bump causing the sled to kick to it's side unwillingly. If a racer in the same situation had NO sway bar, but properly set up springs/shocks then only ONE side of the front suspension will absorb that NASTY bump. And yet, it will still corner well because the shocks/springs are so stiff that there is little tip-in. Normal trail machines need a smooth and graceful ride, so shocks and springs are relatively soft which then requires a sway bar for safety and driveability. Again.....this is my opinion from what i have learned from others.

I once drove an old Polaris 340 with no sway bar and it leaned in the corners as if i was trying to skateboard on a trampoline! Personally, i think it's up to the driver and which way they feel more comfortable riding.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think that alot of mountain riders remove theirs also. They really don't need them when they are in the pow and they also drop a good chunk of weight by taking them out.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I'd say it's worth a try ACguy.
I would think that you will have to be more aggressive in throwing
your weight around on the sled in the corners, but you will more than
likely have more feel for the sled in the handle bars.
Plus there is that 2 - 3 lb. (guessing) drop in wiegh from the sway bar,
right off the front end.
BTW - What did Tucker prefer when he rode a mogul pickle??

K

Ride to ride again.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Megaman is right, racers remove their sway bars so the front suspension is FULLY independant.

I had mine out for awhile, and it was really really bad for trail riding, I put it back in right away. But for jumping and stuff it's better because if there is a bump on one side of a jump, and not on the other only one side absorbs it, and you stay straight. If you have the sway bar in, you will be thrown all crooked.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
weight isn't the only reason mountain riders prefer to leave the sway bar off. riding in powder is more like riding a jet ski on water than a snowmobile on hardpack, and the suspention can compensate better when fully independant. riding on the trails without one probably isn't a good idea for a factory stock sled of most any sort.

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts