Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1975 TNT 340 that I have been working on and upgrading for a while now. It has a tiltson carb and I was wondering if I could put a mikuni carb on it, and would that make a difference (in speed or performence)?

Thank you very much
Gordon

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes you can put a mikuni on. You need to find out what size diameter carb to use. Im not sure on this, but on the vintage sites I bet someone will know.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Having a 73 TX 400 twin. My sled is running 2 32 mil. carbs. I have put a 440 free air in the sled last year and used the same carbs and played with the jetting, 34 mil. would probably work better on my sled but you can use 32 just play with the jetting and find out what works the best, be carful not to over jet or even worse under jet it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks canadianguy Ill look into how much a 32 mill. carb would be for my sled. Does anyone know if it would improve performance? And would I better to buy a used one or new?
Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
608 Posts
Rogo How many carbs did your TNT have? The TX canadianguy is referring to has 2. A single 34 mm carb will work but it will hurt acceleration. If you decide to go with one carb, look at the jetting used on some of the sleds with one carb. That will help you get started.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My sled only has a single tiltson carb on it so i was thinking of putting a 32mm mikunion it. Thanks fo the advice zackattack.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know a guy who wants me to sell his 32mm Mikuni carb it is in good condition but he wants me to make him an offer what would be a reasonable offer?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rogo ive read your delemma regarding carburation ie:some things to ponder 1,tillotson carbs didnt require separate fuel pumps they where part of the carb therefore you,ll have to get a vaccume line installed on the lower half of the crank case if it doesnt already have one and install a fuel pump 2,pulse line,the line that runs from the crank case to the fuel pump should be no longer then 12 inches for best results anyway goodluck hope the info helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Them old doo engines did not use a pulse line. you should see an extra small hole on your carb and flange. this is where this carb gets its pulse from. to mount an external pump you would have to drill and tap your engine block which can be a delicate procedure at best. gluck[^]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks snowcruncher and blewbyyou that info helps alot and yes i allready have a pulse line hooked up but thanks for everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts