Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any input on how to proper install the coolant lines. i have 3 coolant lines in the switchback chassy and only 2 hook up on the engine

·
Registered
571 Posts
3 lines? Are there 2 supply lines or 2 return lines?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
This would be the ultimate machine in my opinion. Just need some nice clicker shocks all around and she would be killer.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
It's 2 out, one return..

The thermostat switches between the outputs. (on the original engine)

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Correct...

The pump pushes water through the motor, and the thermostat should direct the water through only the front tunnel cooler when the engine is cool, and through all the coolers when it warms up.

You can split the single outlet on the engine, or use what's called a "bypass delete" kit which gets rid of the extra hose, and caps off the other end at the front tunnel cooler.

Here's a diagram of the way the system layout, I traced it out and drew it up when I was diagnosing an overheat issue on my edge. (as you can see if you follow the drawing, it's backwards and the thermostat opens the short path when the motor is warm, and that's why my sled was overheating)

2010224184544742_18890.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a hose on the brake system which goes to the rear cooler then come back to the other side dumping in the front cooler im guessing and there is 2 hoses coming out of the front cooler one of them has the coolant reservoir on it. sorry but im all confused. thanks for the help and merry christmas to you all.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Trace it out and draw it on a piece of paper like I did, it will make sense then. When I drew it on the computer I skipped the water bottle and all that other extraneous stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on your drawing you show 3 hoses hooking uo on the engine i only have 1 inlet and one outlet. the 2 comming out of the front cooler can i tee them together i plan on running no thermostat

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Here's the polaris coolant diagram, you have 3 hoses coming out of the engine..

http://www.bibbenssales.com/fiche_image_popup.asp?fveh=6588&section=272698&year=2004&make=Polaris&category=Snowmobiles&dc=1772&name=COOLING+SYSTEM+-+S04NS6ES%2FA%2FB%2FC%2FD-S04NS7CS%2FA%2FB%2FC%2FD-S04NS8CS%2FA%2FB%2FC%2FD

Hose 2 and 15 go to the back of your motor, top and bottom of the thermostat housing. Hose 17 goes to the water pump.

The hose to eliminate is 15 when you install the XCR motor.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
on your body the one coming from the brakes goes to the water tube ontop of the engine.

the hose with the resivior goes to the water pump or front of engine.

the other hose would go to the bottom of the thermostat housing from an 800xcr. the thermostat from the xcr 800 would be in the hose going to the brake housing, when the thermostat is closed it loops the water through the front cooler only, when it gets warm it opens up and sends it to the rear cooler back through the front cooler and to the engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks alot guys now its clear i knew how to hook two but the third one wasnt sure now i know i will just cap it. tomorrow im picking up a set of aftermarket pipe of a storm 800 to see if they fit better under the hood then the stock pipes. htg makes them but i will try the storm ones first.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the storm pipe and xcr pipe are totally different pipes.
unless you spend a lot of time measuring pipes shapes, length, volume, angles of taper. you could be heading down a road called bad performance.

personally if you cant afford to get the htg/dynoport pipes then i would put the project on hold until you can.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i can afford the pipes just i find its a bit extreme 1200-1500$ for pipes by the time they get here in canada. 925$ US plus shipping then all the border duty to get to canada. thats why since the storm pipes where off a 800cc engine i thought it would work and a lot cheaper. and to fit the htg pipes i have to change my front shock tower and front shocks.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
isnt there a htg dealer in canada? cant they send them "gift"
can you find some used dyno port or htg xcr 800 pipes in canada and then fit them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i finally fit the stock pipes from the xcr. one little dent and some trimming inside the hood, some triming on the shock tower and the hood closes perfectly. now i have to fit the canister and the air box opening. thanks for the help guys!! i will post a video when i start it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts