Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a indy light gt w/ the 133.5 track, and about 1/2 lugs. What do i need to do to fit a 136? I'm not looking at any lugs over 1.00". Would increaseing the rear idler diameter be enough? Thanks

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Ya it would work, you may need to have the track tentioner as far back as possible.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It deffinatly won't work just adding larger rear idlers... You need to either have an offset axel or adjust the mountinng position of the rear axel in the rails...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would I need an offset axel? I understand remounting the rear idlers, and having the tensioner as tight as possible, but the axel is confusing me.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Just adding bigger wheels will make the rear of the track bubble out of the hyfax and would make things inefficient.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Originally posted by ak_cowboy
[br]Why would I need an offset axel? I understand remounting the rear idlers, and having the tensioner as tight as possible, but the axel is confusing me.
There was a picture on here a while back of someone who did a big wheel kit and didn't have the offset axle. It is very obvious in the pictures what effect not having the right axle will give you.

edit: here is a link to the pic http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57703&SearchTerms=need,offset,axle

Basiclly since the rear idler is now so much bigger the track will no longer ride on the hyfax as it nears the rear wheel.

The track runs along the hyfax, then along the bottom of the wheel as it rounds the rear idler. The hyfax and the bottom of the wheel are pretty much even. If you throw a bigger wheel on the same axle the bottom of the wheel will be down below the hyfax. The proper axle will give you an offset to keep the bottom of the wheel aligned with the hyfax.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
get the adapter for the X12 long track skids, its a set of wheels that mount in the tunnel and make the 133.5" suspension fit a 136" track

·
Registered
985 Posts
Originally posted by mdmaniac
[br]get the adapter for the X12 long track skids, its a set of wheels that mount in the tunnel and make the 133.5" suspension fit a 136" track
you would get no benefit from taking up the slack in the tunnel. except allowing you to buy a 136 track instead of a 133.5.

i would suggest a proper offset axle/rail extension. or a true 136 skid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help. I understand what you ment with the axel now, should of thought a little harder I guess. I'll have to see about getting the extension, I only get to ride about 4weeks a year, due to the fact I'm away at school. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Originally posted by bulldog_shotgun
[br]
Originally posted by mdmaniac
[br]get the adapter for the X12 long track skids, its a set of wheels that mount in the tunnel and make the 133.5" suspension fit a 136" track
you would get no benefit from taking up the slack in the tunnel. except allowing you to buy a 136 track instead of a 133.5.

i would suggest a proper offset axle/rail extension. or a true 136 skid.
All an offset axle is going to do is take up extra slack....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, all i was looking at was fitting a 136, isn't that what you were saying? I'll probably just keep it as is, and save my money to buy something with a real track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts