Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I switch from BR9ES to BR9EYA plugs without any problems. I have heard they don,t foul as quickly?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I haven't done it myself, but I wouldn't think there would be a problem. The most important thing is the heat rating. Since they're still both nine's I would think it would be fine.

If wrong, hopefully someone else will comment on this.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
277 Posts
It will work, but the only differance in the ES and EYA is that the electrode has a v-grove in it. The diameter of the electrode is still the same size, 2.5mm. If you have a problem with fouling plugs you better check your oil pump output or you carbs for being extremely rich. A better plug for not fouling is the EV, fine tip electrode, 1mm plug. They are 3 times the price of a standard plug but resist fouling. Afer talking to several area racers, unless your motor is highly modified and needs a special application plug, your just wasting your money on the more expensive plugs, because you gain nothing in power on a stock sled. Hope this helps. Later.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've heard others speak of going to a "hotter" plug to help with fouling. I think moving from a BR9es to a BR8es is going to a hotter plug. Not sure if this would help. Anyone????

If you can read this I'm parked!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I agree with Maydaze about the EV's. I used BR9EV's all winter last year and somehow never once did i foul a plug. It could just be luck too. Plus i'm always watching my jetting. Worked for me anyway...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hotter Plugs may resist fouling, although if you are fouling plugs, as suggested by someone else, you are either running too rich or you are getting too much oil simple as that. A hotter plug could fix your problems if your plugs foul after the engine is running and hot. But if you foul them out while trying to start the engine, it will not help your problems.

The heat range on a spark plug is basic terms is how long the plug stays hot after combustion. If you take a 9 plug versuse an 8 plug it may not be very visable but compare a 9 to either a 7 or a 6 and you can see the difference in the porcelin portion of the plug that surrounds the electrode. One will be longer or shorter than the other. Obviously if it stays hot too long then you may get pre-ignition or detonation.

hope this clears things up just a little bit. I would suggest to clean and/or re-jet your carbs if you are having serious problems with fouling.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Isn't there a concern with melting your pistons if you go to too hot a plug?

Jacqui.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think its like T-O-U is saying, if the plug is to hot then you'll could cause detonation which could damage the piston.

If you can read this I'm parked!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts