Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody knows any good vs bad with regards to using synthetic injection oil, besides the obvious bad: price!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I know that synthetic oil isn't supposed to make exhaust valves sticky and it's supposed to "run cleaner" I dunno how true that is though.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
its all I use, and I havnt had a problem...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Say you have a sled with 1-2k miles on it using a petroleum oil... I've herd in this case it would be a bad idea to switch to synthetic.... Any truth to this??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Polaris really recommends the synthetic oil (VES) for their exhaust engines to reduce fouling of the valve. You can run the regular petroleum oil but you'll have to clean the exhaust valve more often 700-900 miles. Shouldn't be a problem changing to synthetic oil, in fact Polaris was recommending using petroleum oil for break-in in 2000-2002, but if you switch, be sure to drain your oil tank first.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
yes, there is a huge difference in synthetic oils. They leave considerably less deposits, burn cleaner, smoke less, and offer superior wear protection. The coupla extra $$/quart is well worth it to keep the wear on the motor down resulting in less problems in the future.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I know the TC-W3 oil is good oil in brand name oils and its all I use. Of course I currently have two old sleds- 87 trail (oil injected) and 80 txc.
So my ? is, would it hurt the 80 txc to change over to synthetic. Does it mix well with gas? The motor on this is chrome plated cylinders and thats to keep it cooler because its a free air. I know synthetic is great for its lubriticity and thought it would help out even more. Can I change over after all these years without hurting anything? Also on the 87 trail, can I simply start filling the oil tank with synthetic or do I need to drain the old out first?

TXC

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
no no, your txc doesn't have a memory[:D] it won't hurt it at all to suddenly start mixing (something it does very well with gas[;)]) a synthetic. On your 87 trail I'd run the old stuff until the low-level light comes on then drain out the rest.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The only time you definitely shouldn't use 100% synthetic oil is during break-in. It won't allow the piston rings to seat to the cylinder walls properly, and it won't allow all the bearings to lap themselves smoothly into each other. After break-in the synthetics have a lot of advantages, but a TCW3 rated oil will never let you down either. So it's all a matter of how much you want to spend, how much you like smoke, and how often you like to clean VES valves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts