Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 500xcsp 2002 and am wondering if you should use polaris synthetic oil ves2 at 40$ a gal. or will a canadian tire substitute work fine in this machine.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
tire substitute?? i hope thats an oil.lol. any oil will work as long as it meets or exceeds the polaris oil. it doesnt make sense to buy cheap oil if thats all it is. theres is a difference between cheap and less expensive. how many gallons do you think you will use? if you use 2-3 gallons thats a lot of miles and you save maye 10 dollars a gallon. theres other ways to save money on less risky items.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can get allot better oil for less $$$. The Polaris stuff is very expensive.

Amsoil Injector, or the Series 2000 is a fine choice, so is Klotz. Both burn very clean, and that is the key to consistancy on the VES engines, got to keep them valves clean.

I have a friend in Ont that sells Amsoil if you want some.

I know the Castrol oil is very popular in Canada and is sold at Canadian Tire (I love those stores) and that is the oil that Sk Doo uses as OEM. It is prety good on the valves.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with MMP. Polaris VES is good oil, but WAY overpriced! I've found that AMSOIL seems to keep exhaust valves cleaner than even the Polaris VES. And I can buy AMSOIL for roughly half the price as the Polaris oil. Whatever you decide, stick with a quality sythetic. It will burn cleaner and save on valve cleaning.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Agreed here with "as-good-if-not-better" products out there for less $$$.

But be careful with the Polaris warranty people. Check carefully if other oils have the proper ratings to maintain your warranty.

(o;

DNO.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The only rating you need is TCw3. Most of the "void the warranty" scares are false and the factories can't legally void your warranty for using an aftermarket oil.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I agree with Razor. The dealers claim it, but it's simply not true. There's a law against such a thing.

If my memory serves well, i recall that the TC-W3 rating was established many years ago for outboard boat motors that were under like 35 hp......or something like that. That is scary news! There is a big difference between TC-W3 oils. If you ask me, the rating is a pretty minimal standard. Is this really good enough for today's high-tech engines? Even European countries have more stringent laws on oil requirements. Never-the-less, i will keep on using a higher-quality oil that protects our high-stress, high HP engines! The best oils are not always the most expensive, but i will not use the cheapest oil on the shelf either. IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts