Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better for your sleds and the cold riding? what brand do you recomend? i am thing for greesing the suspension and stuff, as well as engine and chaincase oil

i personally am not a big fan of synthetics, but i want to run what is best for the sled, since it is a polaris i am assuming pure polaris oils are best designed for it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,850 Posts
For the suspension grease, I use the red stuff. At the moment, I can't remember the exact name.

Chain case, just use a synthetic lube, it's all basically the same.

For oil injection oil, I use Arctic Blue synthetic blend. Most of the people I know run this and have never had any oil related problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Hardcore sled racers are turning away from synthetic back to regular oil, because the synthetic is not sticking the bearings when the motor is stopped. It runs off and leaves them dry, which gets expensive when a motor costs several grand to build.

I'm following their lead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Hardcore sled racers are turning away from synthetic back to regular oil, because the synthetic is not sticking the bearings when the motor is stopped. It runs off and leaves them dry, which gets expensive when a motor costs several grand to build.

I'm following their lead.
thats exactly what i have been thinking


thanks for all the input
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I have been dealing with auto race engines for many many years and the one thing that all engine builders tell me is to stay away from full synthetic since it does not impregnate into the seals. I have been looking for a semi-synthetic oil ( 50/50 blend ) for my sled and can't find anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Loopy said:
I have been dealing with auto race engines for many many years and the one thing that all engine builders tell me is to stay away from full synthetic since it does not impregnate into the seals. I have been looking for a semi-synthetic oil ( 50/50 blend ) for my sled and can't find anything.
Could you mix your own? or owuld the oil droplets not get along?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
dodgetruck2 said:
Could you mix your own? or owuld the oil droplets not get along?
Mixing could do several things.

You could get the ideal, best of both.

You could get the worst of both.

The various chemicals being mixed together, could thin the oil out too thin to lubricate correctly, or they could turn to jelly and clog the pump.

3 out of the 4 scenarios I listed are not good. It's up to you to make the call whether it's worth it to try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well since i dont like synthtics i will probably stick with regular for now, do they make some that are better for the cold or not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,722 Posts
Polaris has "blue" which is a blend. You can also mistik sea & snow which is a blend. I use either of these in my non valved(ves) engines.

For grease I use marine or what ever I can find as long as it is NLGI #2 rated grease in my sleds and atv. no issues in the coldest of temps wi sees. I use the atv plowing snow and out on the ice icefishing. SO it's not just driving around it gets worked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
if your just doing tail riding and some semi-hard riding synthetics would be fine, they make partial synthetic oils which is a good oil to choose. i personally run amsoil dominator just cz its good for hi rpms. and you said something about cold?.. im assuming you know that when you read an oil label the first number like 5w is the viscosity it is when its cold. the lower the first number the better cz when you start your sled you want thin oil for easy starting and warming up. the second number like 30 is the viscosity when warm. and that is the most common. when i dont run amsoil i use 0w30!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,722 Posts
no need to run dominator. Your engine with dominator is more gummed up that a old lady riding a classic 550 touring using regular oil. I dighly doubt you are putting enough heat in you engine to burn it off. Total waste of $$ IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
motorheaderr said:
if your just doing tail riding and some semi-hard riding synthetics would be fine, they make partial synthetic oils which is a good oil to choose. i personally run amsoil dominator just cz its good for hi rpms. and you said something about cold?.. im assuming you know that when you read an oil label the first number like 5w is the viscosity it is when its cold. the lower the first number the better cz when you start your sled you want thin oil for easy starting and warming up. the second number like 30 is the viscosity when warm. and that is the most common. when i dont run amsoil i use 0w30!
That is backwards.. Have you ever seen oil that gets thicker when it warms up?

Viscosity is compared to the thickness of water.. The numbers, are the viscosity.

5W-30 for example is 5x the thickness of water when warm, and 30x when cold.

20w-50 is 20x when warm, and 50x when cold.

Running 0w-30, is 30x when cold, and no thicker than water when warm. All you can use that in, is stuff that has EXTREMELY tight tolerances. Anything not specifically designed for 0w oil will not be getting lubricated properly by it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
dodgetruck2 said:
Loopy said:
I have been dealing with auto race engines for many many years and the one thing that all engine builders tell me is to stay away from full synthetic since it does not impregnate into the seals. I have been looking for a semi-synthetic oil ( 50/50 blend ) for my sled and can't find anything.
Could you mix your own? or owuld the oil droplets not get along?
I would not do it, infact it is recomended when you are making the switch from one to the other you should run the oil reservoir down as far as possible before adding the synthetic or regular.
I use Amsoil interceptor in both of my newer machines. I use Valvoline Synpower for all of my suspension zerk fittings. Read the temp. zone on it. Have been using it for years now and also the Amsoil Interceptor. I will be getting 5 gallons of Interceptor next week.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/grease-gear-oil/grease/63

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ait.aspx


For all other moving parts like steering etc...I just use a spray lubrication. I usually try to use a lithium greese spray and if not, good old WD-40 will do. I use to buy the Ski-doo brand lube spray, but it is just so darn expenssive and the other options seem to do the job 'OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
you are completely misinformed sir, for real if you think thats what that means!! either some one has not tought you anything about oils or you learned from a full out durrr!!! 0w is the weight when a car or vehicle is started so the oil is thinner when its cold. as the oil heats up it acts thicker. why would you want your oil to thin out as your motor heats up. YOU are completely backwards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
but oil does get thin as it warms, atleast engine oil does, and so does hydraulic, because if the hydraulic oil get to hot it quits running stuff for example a hydrostatic drive, we have 2 combines and have owned about a dozen 50% of them hydro drive, as the oil gets hot it takes more to move them, and i have had them get to hot and then they dont move hardly at all, and engine oil gets thin because, have you ever drained the oil on a cold engine slow to trickle out, on a hot engine it moves much faster,

just my $0.02 on that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Heh, I looked it up, and had it backwards.

DOOHHH!!!!
You were right originally! Oil will thin as it gets warm not the opposite. Anyhow 2-stroke oil is ment to combust with the gas and provide lubrication at the same time. Oil for a 4-stroke remains in the crank case.

Have you ever put oil in your sled when it's like -30F?... Right, it comes out like Aunt Jamima's pancake syrup;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
motorheaderr said:
you are completely misinformed sir[/color=red], for real if you think thats what that means!! either some one has not tought you anything about oils or you learned from a full out durrr!!! 0w is the weight when a car or vehicle is started so the oil is thinner when its cold. as the oil heats up it acts thicker. why would you want your oil to thin out as your motor heats up. YOU are completely backwards


So are you after reading that.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top