Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding top end on 96 Polaris xcr 600 sp & have a few ?'s
1) Cir clips. wiseco piston kit, i put some of the circlips in with cir clip opening or gap in the 12 o'clock position. I also put some in at the 6 o'clock position or gap on bottom. Is the 6 o'clock position ok?

2) Exhaust gaskets. Does the flat metal side go in towards cyl or out? The paper gasket has a metal ring and one side flat, other tappered.

3_ I purchased a winderosa gaket kit and there are 3 uneven black rubber orings. One size of 1/2 dollar, other size quarter and other size of dime. where do these go?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I prefer the 12:00 but 6:00 is ok acording to my Yamaha manuel .Just make sure the gap is not close to the gap for getting them out ,if you have that.
I would think the flat side goes against the block.
My gaskets had a rubber bead on one side I but that against the block. I don't know where the o rings go .Possibly in the coolingsystem .Hope this helps .

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
12 or 6 doesn't mater... Since the forces happen both in the upward direction and the downward direction....

-Dean

·
Registered
277 Posts
Stupid question from me. Why does it matter what direction the c-clip is facing in the piston? If the c-clip is locked in the grove properly, its not coming out. I have done many engines and have had the c-clips in every postion you could have and never had one come out. Just wondering what the reason is for 12 or 6 o'clock postion.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
because of g forces due to the force the piston exerts on the clip, at the top and bottom of each stroke. When the piston arrives at the top and turns around, if the open part is at say 3 oclock, then the bottom half of the circlip's momentum will try to bring the ends together, and it might move.

When the open part is at 12, then the clip will try to spread at the bottom and top, when at TDC and TBC, and it will just hold tighter...

-Dean

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I believe the three rubber o rings you speak of go in the back of the rubber carb flanges (the rubber "boot" that connects the carb to the cylinder). If you take these flanges off, look at the back of them, you should see the same o ring......I believe thats where it goes.

As for the smaller one, I think it goes on the piece of the water pump that attaches to the engine block.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ripperd2, I understand what you are saying about the sudden stopping of the piston at the top and bottom of the stroke. But I dont think the engineers would design a c-clip that is so soft or weak that it would bend or flex enough to come out of the groove. There is no pressure being forced on the c-clip to pop out from the wrist pin, the c-clip is there just to be sure that the wrist pin doesnt walk out. Once snapped into the grove, that sucker is in there to stay. I have seen over the years where someone has not had the c-clip snapped in all the way and it popped partially out and groved a cylinder wall. But hey, just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
at diesel school they always said to put the gap up or down. the theory was that there is enough force that if the gap was at the front or back it could squish and get soft and come out. there must be something to it, when i was at johndeere i did about 40 some engines, always did all the little checks and measures that some of the others tell you that you dont need to do them, i did not ever have one come back. tore some down that the clips came out and they were only 5 yrs old and the clip openings were to the front or back on the other pistons.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I had the same sentiments as maydaze. Done many rebuilds not caring where the clip was. But it only takes a second to locate it... so I think in the future I will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts